New Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Jan 2, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Are new blades from the dealer sharp enough to use? I got a set for christmas from my uncle for my eXmark and they don't seem all that sharp. And the sharpness is incosistant along each blade as well. Are new blades sharp enough to use or should they be sharpened more?

2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

My Exmark blades were sharp enough straight from the dealer, but my Cub Cadet blades were not. I am going to sharping and change blades every couple of days this yr (06')

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

LOL! That has to be about the weirdest christmas gift Iv'e heard of! No offence... Business is business, personal is personal. Learn to keep them seperate! Business things like that are EXPENCES to take off of your taxes. Take advantage of all those you can!

Trust me, I was the same way when I was younger. I wanted a mower (of any kind) for christmas or birthday for years, but my family never got me one. Instead they got me personal things, not some machine that I would use to make money. As I look back on it now I realize how silly I was...

To answer the question... Well you have them in your hands, right? Run your finger over the edge; does it feel sharp? I know the factory edges can look pretty funky due to the way they grind them fast, but generally they are sharp enough to cut good. Some will say that you need to balance them when new. I have a balancer now, didn't for many years, the jury is still out as to just how much it helps IMO. I always use them before sharpening them the first time. It wears the paint off of the blade which would clog up my grinding wheel if I tried to sharpen them when new.

Also, contrary to what others on here may say, I prefer my blades to be sharp! When I'm done putting the edge on them it can cut my fingers just by running it over them. Trust me, Iv'e done it!!! (by accident a couple times, cut to the bone once!) Sharpen as often as necessary to maintain the sharp edge. Sometimes it's every day or two, sometimes I can go as long as 4 or 5 days.

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Just about ever new blade i sharpen to a razor's edge.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ya, i think they deffinatly need to be sharpened, well, i have a few months to do it!!lol, ill do it tomarrow though! Thanks for the replies

6. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, they could sharpen them like a razor, but would have to package them in a box, and the companies just aren't gonna take that expense and liability. I sharpen mine to a very fine edge that will defintely cut you, but if you think about it after the first yard they are worn to about what you get from a factory edge. But there is just something about a fresh sharpened blade, my Lazer even sounds quieter.

But my answer to your question would have to be yes, they are plenty sharp with the factory edge on them.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Factory blades are never razor sharp. Then again, they last longer that way.

8. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I understand the desire to sharpen to a razors edge however, the thinner the edge of the blade, the more susceptible to damage it is. I think it's a waste of time and leads to more frequent blade replacement if you are taking off more than absolutely necessary. But as a disclaimer, we're dealing with fine fescue, kentucky blue and rye here in the northwest, not necessarily the toughest grasses to cut.

9. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a fertilizer cart for Christmas. Best thing I got! It will save my back. And me and my back are real personal. PR

10. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We don't sharpen our new blades. Their plenty sharp for us.

BTW, its not a good idea to sharpen a blade razor sharp because the sharper you get a blade the faster it will dull.