New Blades????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jimmbo407, May 14, 2006.

1. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

Just a quick question for you guys. Do you sharpen new blades before using them. I always do, I sharpen them then balance then put them into the rotation. A friend of mine says I'm wasting my time and that I don't have to sharpen new blades. Doesn't't seem to take to much time but I keep thinking about this while mowing(to much time to think while mowing lol).

Also do you guys take your blades to a wire wheel before sharpening. I do this also and I am being told I am being anal. I clean the blades, spacers and spindle bolt then coat them with WD40 to make it easier next time I clean them. Is this a waste of time also. Like I said I have to much time on the mower to think lol.:usflag:

P.S. I did do a search and didn't find anything that addressed these questions. Thanks in advance:drinkup:
  2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I use them for a day or two first to wear the black paint off. As far as cleainh I have a wire brush to wipe them if there really bad, Id say your being anal.
  3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I don't sharpen new ones. I do take the cutting edge to a wire wheel before sharpening. I think it saves the grinding wheel from clogging with dirt.
  4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have sharpened a few. I hate getting new blades and get them home and 1 or 2 are way out of balance. But for the most part I just run them and sharpen when paint is worn off.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I don't sharpen new blades because it's the only time I get to run blades twice as long without replacing them AGAIN ! Sure it's a bit dull at first but then the paint wears off and out comes this nice tempered edge and maybe 20 yards later I GOT to put them in the pile with the rest, sigh ...

It gets to where I get so tired of sharpening, I've bought new blades just so I can put it off a few more days LOL
    But I have 30 blades now, and two sets runs 70 dollars, so...

I really want a machine where I just drop the blades in one end and they come out the other all sharpened and balanced and ready to go, don't care if it takes a while to do 3 so long I can drop as many as a dozen or more in there at a time lol
    The drop-n-go Razorblades 9000
  6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

They do make self sharpeners, but I'm not sure how they work. I think it only sharpens one side at a time then needs someone to swap the blade. They ain't cheap either.