New blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by redoak77, Sep 13, 2004.

1. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a set of new gator blades and they arrived today:) I was wondering if they need sharpening before i install them because they seem to have the black paint on them. I dont know if they need sharpenedor if the paint just gets shaved away after use. Thanxs

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

nope, don't sharpen them. You will actually notice that the new blades will keep their edge for a descent amount of time

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I always sharpen them first, because they are so dull. With all the paint, they are too blunt and don't cut clean - same as a real dull blade. Even with just scraping the paint off, they are still quite dull. I figure they are going to get sharpened anyway eventually, to work well, so why waste that much time cutting with dull blades in the meantime?

4. tiedeman

from earth

that is strange that you have that you have to do that Runner...when I get mine they always have a good sharp edge and they hold that edge for a longer time compared to the first time that I sharpen them

5. I always sharpen and balance new blades 9 out of 10 times they are unbalanced as weel as dull .

6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I always sharpen new blades!!
    I have never seen a sharp new blade, and dont let my blades get as dull as a new blade. I am a freak about that. :)

7. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

wow, Im surprised to hear that you have to sharpen new blades. The gators I buy could shave hair off your arm I mean they are really sharp. I have bought them from several different places also and there always sharp.

8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

All depends on what you call sharp! All the gators I have bought are painted and have no edge.
    Like I said I am a freak about it, and I dont use a bench gringer so I dont get a hollow grind when I sharpen, so the edge stays longer.

9. tiedeman

from earth

so am I. I am really surprised at the number that have to sharpen them