new blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by indian, Feb 28, 2005.

1. indian

indian LawnSite Member

I posted this in the home owner assistence forum but haven't gotten any response yet. Do you guys have any recommendations for a backpack blower for a homeowner? I have looked at stihl and echo. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the opinions, comments, and suggestions.
  2. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

There is also Redmax, and Kawasaki. No matter which one you buy it should last you forever if you only need it for your own lawn. I would choose on price and probably comfort.
  3. mownredneck

mownredneck LawnSite Member

stick with the stihl.
  4. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

What exactly will you be doing with this blower? If you will just be blowing a few grass clippings off your walk and drive I would recommend maybe a Stihl BR340. I must tell you that BR340 is not very powerful. If you will be blowing heavy leaf banks and debris in the fall look into the new Stihl BR550 4-mix blower. It will be quite a bit more expensive than the BR340 but will be ALOT stronger. If you really want a power monster and you are not concerned with the price, Redmax EBZ8000. Kind of heavy but a real machine!!
  5. indian

indian LawnSite Member

I will be using it to blow off the sidewalk and driveway. I probably will also look into getting the gutter attachment for the blower that I buy. I have about 25 live oak trees on my property. They are starting to drop their leaves now and will need something to blow the leaves. I looked at the stihl br340 and the echo pb403. Both are priced at $299 at my local dealer. I would like to try and stay around that price range. Any other suggestions in that price range? Which one gives the better performance for the money?
  6. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

If that is your price range, go with the Echo PB-403..

It's a nice blower for the money!!
  7. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

any of these will do fine......redmax makes a homeowner version....i think it's 4001 or something like that. more power than you will ever need. whatever you get, buy it from a commercial lawnmower place....not Home Cheapo.
  8. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I really, really like Stihl products but their blowers just aren't on pace with the rest of their equipment. Get the Echo it will be a better blower for the money.
  9. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

I agree..whatever you do buy from a local lawn mower dealer....
  10. Mower Man

Mower Man LawnSite Member

Most comfortable, user friendly blower I've ever used is the Dolmar PB500.
    Not the most powerful, not the lightest, nor the heaviest by scale weight.
    Just good power, low noise, and very, very comfortable.
    I'll use it, and the RM 8000 the most

Have Red Max 4800 Lo Noise, 7001, 2-8000's, sold the Tanaka, Echo, and Stihl. Kept the PB500 also.

Fuel tank is between the blower & back pack frame for better weight distribution, & lower Center Of Gravity. Also easier to fill.

Good Anti Vibe set up.

Engine is fully covered for low noise, and keeps leaves, jusk for gettin in.

Reed engine for more torque at lower RPM (runs about 800-1,000 RPM less than comparable models), is turned 90*. Allows for a "Big Loaf sytle" muffler to be bottom mounted so it's quiet.
    Both heat, and noise are directed away more from the operator.

Ergonomic RS handle, with a Stop on the tube at the housing which keeps the blower tube from trying swing behind you. Normally you have to keep the tricep muscle tense to hold blower tubes somewhat straight.
    This Stop really relaxes the arm over time.

Do like the protective "caged" set up. Has kept me from having repairs as I slip (sling) it off. Sometimes they roll over by themselves like their drunk.