New bob-cat mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, May 18, 2004.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got a Bob-Cat 48" mower w/15 hp Kawasaki V-twin engine. I love It so far. I have 4 accounts in my neighborhood.

48"Bob-cat mower
    snapper mowers 2
    little wonder blower
    stihl blower
    mighty mac blower
    homelite string trimmer
    toro snow blower
    barrells
    wheelbarrows and a shed full of other stuff

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Wait! Hold on. You just got a Bob-cat? Have 4 accounts? But you've been posting everywhere...get a bob-cat not an eXmark.

YOU HAVE NO IDEA OR EXPERIENCE WITH EITHER YET.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Date Registered: 05-18-2004
    Total Posts: 21 (21 posts per day)
    Last Post: 05-18-2004 10:23 PM
    stamped vs welded deck
    Contact mkwl:
    Homepage:
    Birthday N/A
    Your Age 43
    Years in business 5
    Biography
    Location New Jersey

Says you are in business for 5 years, but you only have 4 accounts in your neighborhood.

4. mkwl

I only cut lawns as a hobby.
    I love spending time outside, but I don't really do it for the money.
    I beleve that my comment in regard to the exmark is well based, yes, I don't own an exmark but my friends that have them...say they hate them.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

A few friends huh? That is pretty interesting. You will hardly ever find anyone that doesn't like the cut and quality of their eXmarks. Maybe your friends don't know how to sharpen blades and maintain mowers??

Now to the real issue, someone that cuts only as a hobby should be real careful giving "expert" advice. The problem is their are a lot of people here that are looking into making career changings and spending savings. It can effect their families. So the hearsay advice is VERY dangerous.

I have no problem with bob-cats or any other Textron product. To each his own, that is why there are many different mower companies. But don't give hearsay info that "a friend" said as truth.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

My Bobcat and Exmark experience:

Bobcat Classic bought in 1992 just rertired as Kohler has developed a problem I have not had the time tear apart.
    The mechanicals of this machine are supurb, bushings on levers, spindle bearings still tight after 12 years, quality pulley's etc, no cracks in the deck, zero drive breakdowns.

My Exmark experience[bought because I pulled a choke screw into the cylinder of my Bobcat and it sounded like a rod knocking, later removed no damage].

1996 Exmark Viking, Double pulley drive had trouble pulling machine up inclines from day one. Deck was never right from day one so when mowing short or thick turf looks terrible. Levers have no bushings and wear out fast. Deck has cracked in numerous places. Pulleys have cheap bearings and wear out fast.
    Kawasaki engine has given good service and no peerless transmission problems

I bought a new TTHP Exmark because it is Hydraulic and this is a different deck than the other design,and it cuts, bags and performs excellent so far.
    I would of bought Bobcat but they have yet to baffle the deck as I prefer and cut is the number one issue for me. Wear items I will see about in time.

Tom

7. mkwl

Hey,65hoss, I wouldn't exactly call it a hobby anymore since today I got 4 more accounts. I think my advice is just as good asanyone else's on this site.If you like your exmarks, good for you.

I love my Bob-Cat and will never buy any other brand!!!!!!!!!!

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, one thing is for sure.....
    You gotta admit it......
    Bob-Cat seems to be developing quite the loyal following lately.

dishboy,

If i am not terribly mistaken, Bob-Cat DID baffle the front of the WB deck.

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Really, I looked under a 48in demo the local dealer had and it was not baffled....... so I am baffled now.

10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

question... if you aren't in it for the money and it's not a hobby, why did you spend that much money for a zero turn mower?

i guess bobcats are ok, never used one, haven't heard anything bad about them, but i am an exmark faithful. no major problems, the BEST customer support you can get on just about anything that exists, in or out of warranty.