New bobcat mower belt shredded?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lynden-Jeff, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

I just got my new bobcat z-219 ZTR. Love it so far but I had a little problem. I was mowing and id only been on it for roughly 10-15 minutes and I heard a funny noise like I had run over something. I immediatly shut it down and flipped up the belt deck to take a look and I noice peices of belt all over. Now I have tinkered with anything since I bought it about an hour before I was just testing it out. Why would it do this? there was a little black L bracket that was RIGHT beside the belt and we think this is what did it. Could it of been a fault belt and this little L peice caught it and ripped it in half? I have not used it since because im pretty sure the belt is messed. Any imput would be great, ill try and get pics shortly as my camera is charging.

Cheers
    Jeff

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

hmmmm... On my 48's, the blade belt does this sometimes between engaging / disengaging, it likes to 'slip' over to the other side of this guide... Nowadays I am very careful, when engaging I always go slow and make sure all is good (I have a manual lever so the pressure of the lever clues me in) but at other times it got so bad that I got in the habit of taking a quick peek under the deck (you have to know where the guide is and what to look for) just to make sure the belt is on the correct side. When it's not on the correct side, one can reset it with a finger but it's tricky once the machine is running, it can hurt you... Either way, if the belt ever ran on the wrong side, I could tell something was odd and once I'd smell it and yes, little rubber pieces of belt everywhere.
    Normally, mine doesn't do it until the belt is somewhat worn, and I mean it has some surface cracks and wear and tear on it.
    However, if the belt is BRAND NEW, it likes to do it to me just one time, you know, just to be like that.
    Then they always last several years after that.

Could this be your problem?
    Just trying to help...

3. Lynden-Jeff

Hey,

Well it is brand new and I seriously hope my dealer doesn't ding me for it. It definatly wasn't my fault and I mean the thing is brand new lol! Here are some pics. Do you think this mower is still usable with the belt half gone? Im worried that little L bracket wasn't the problem and I might really botch something if I run it.

Pic 1 is of the pullys and the frayed belt
    Pic 2 is of the Black L bracket when we moved it away.
    pic 3 is of the L bracket when it was in the position we found it in and thought it was fraying the belt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Jeff

4. Lynden-Jeff

No one ????

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ohhhh that's pretty bad, my belts didn't do that. I guess it could be the bracket but the machine is so new... I hate to give you advice on doing something that may not fix things and may make matters worse.

You might first go talk to the dealer, bring the machine and tell him what happened basically like you just told us and see what he says.

6. Isn't that belt inside out????

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I actually does look like it is inside out.

8. 1PRO

1PRO LawnSite Member

I think hes right the belt is on backwards and if the dealer did it or the factory then they need to replace it.

i bought a 36 inch bob cat and the drive belt tends to back off the pulley when you back the mower off the trailor i think the belt is bad has done that since day one but like a hard head i just tell then take the pry bar and put the belt back on the pulley, but i need a new belt.

9. Lynden-Jeff

Thanks. I will ask him and mention what you guys have said. I really have no idea because this is my first ZTR.

Thanks
    Jeff

10. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

usually what causes that is something jumps up in between the belt and pulley sheave and causes the belt to roll. Reguardless, if you have a good relationship with your dealer, they can write it through warranty and keep you smiling and loving your new machine!!!