New bobcat w/b HP question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2k1yzfr1, Dec 22, 2003.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer/friend is getting a shipment of new bobcats in that are mix match units. One of the ones I am thinking about purchasing is a 48 fixed deck electric start hydo with a15 kohler for $2000. I know that the 15 hp it's ideal but would how would it do on nice maintained residental yards. I'm sure in wet thick yards it would be a turd but how about all the other times??

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats an awesome deal for a new hydro Bobcat. The 15 is a bit underpowered but in the summer when the lawns are a bit stressed you could fly with it. I have a 17HP Kawi on a 48" Hydro that is ok but at times a 19HP would be nice.

3. 2k1yzfr1

Yeah I know that the 15 hp is gonna be under powered but the $2000 I can't pass it up. He also has a 15 hp kohler 32" belt drive for $1200 that I am going to make my new mulching mower BEAST.:D

4. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

For the $$$ I sure would take it. I have a 54" Hydro Bobcat w/b, 20 hp Kohler w/ electric start. It's really a great machine. 15hp is a little on the light side, but if riding up hills on a sulky is not needed, you should be OK.

B

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If you can do your own work, buy the unit, sell the Kohler on ebay and buy a 17 kaw from Northern tool and you'll probably only spend a few $100 for the difference.......
    Good luck,
    Pete

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

the 15 koh will do well... a competitor run a few of those exact same machines. he keeps buying them, so i assume he is pleased.

7. 2k1yzfr1

yeah that's what I was thinking about doing is maybe take the 15 kohler off and putting it my 36" scag with an unknown amount of hours and selling that 12.5 hp for whatever it's worth and buying a 17-18hp. How much do used 12.5 kohlers bring that are in great shape and start on the first pull?? What about a brand new 15 electric start??