New boots...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by gcbailey, May 6, 2013.

1. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Those loggers just don't look comfortable or even practical for walking all day...that heel is angled differently, in a cowboy boot kind of way. I'm not a logger...and I'm guessing loggers don't walk for a living...they need great traction while operating a huge chainsaw and climbing trees. But hey, if you're on a Z most of the day, then more power to you!

2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Yesterday was the first true test of the boots and they made it through a 10 hour day with no problems. I found out yesterday we won a big bid on a municipal reservoir with an earthen dam... so that may be the real test to see how much traction these things have. I'll try to remember to get some pics this evening of it.

3. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought a pair of the "Pro's" the vibrams are just to heavy and the pair I bought ,while very comfortable aren't the ideal boot for hill side work due to slipping. Still can't beat the comfort and grip of Keen's

4. Green-Man

Green-Man LawnSite Bronze Member

How was the comfort level? Since they are full leather did your feet feel hotter? Can't wait for some pics.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. gcbailey

from WV

well, they felt great... The only slight issue (which was fixed) I had them a little too tight on my ankle, simply loosened them up a little.

You can tell by the pics this is pretty steep, and I didn't particularly want to get wet, as the water temp is about 58.

No, I don't trim the entire height of the dam, but about a 15' wide swath around the waters edge (there's a walking trail and fishing spots). The boots have great traction, but like anything with lugs they hold mud...

All in all for their first "slope test" they passed great. And this property isn't the steepest!

DSCF9901 (Medium).jpg

DSCF9902 (Medium).jpg

DSCF9922 (Medium).jpg

6. gcbailey

from WV

Oh ya... No, my feet didn't get hot yesterday... the air temp was only about 65, so...

7. Arena landscaping

Arena landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from wayne

8. Green-Man

Green-Man LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh wow that's pretty chilly haha. Have you tried them in any wet conditions? Like heavy early morning dew or even water?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. gcbailey

from WV

yes and yes... Down along the bank of that dam I sorda stepped in a little water and never realized it. I was looking on Red Wings site and they brag about them being "ultra dry" or something and I can vouch for that.

10. Grass887

Grass887 LawnSite Member

I have Danner Arcadia's, with the vibram sole, except, that sole lasts maybe 18 months then needs to be re-soled. Very comfy, but get your wallet out