New boots...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by gcbailey, May 6, 2013.

1. Green-Man

Green-Man LawnSite Bronze Member

2. JR's Lawn Service

JR's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I will 3rd the Brahma (Alpha) from Walmart; don't think the other guys had the Alpha, and I am not sure of the difference. I think I paid $38.00 for mine and they have steel toe (and are still light enough), waterproof and have slip resistant soles. I have never purchased shoes from Walmart prior to these, but tried several different types this season and this was the best for me. I stand on some very steep slopes quite often. In my opinion, these are the best for the money as an all around work boot.

3. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, I used to spend a lot of money on boots and always wore through about 2 pairs a season. I honestly don't notice until the very end of the day. If I wear them without nice insoles though my feet will definatly be sore

4. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl has some nice shoes/boots meant for grass traction

5. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Thought they dropped those a couple years ago? I tried a pair on... Not comfortable for me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Never knew Stihl "made" boots.... Were they actually Stihl's or just sold and licensed under their name?

7. Green-Man

Update on the boots please!! Haha
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. gcbailey

from WV

Sure.... The boots were placed in "semi-retirement" earlier in the year. I purchased a pair of Georgia Boots (G025 Comfort Core low heel loggers).

After wearing the Georgia's for about 2 weeks I definitely liked the wear and feel of the Irish Setters much better. I did like the fact that the Georgia Boots had a Vibram sole, but they ended up being noticeably much heavier. After 8+ hours daily, that makes a big difference. I ended up getting 1/2 size smaller in the Georgia boots because they slipped a little in the heel, but still yet they started wearing blisters on my feet.

The Georgia Boots actually cost about $70 more than the Irish, $215 compared to $145. I actually tried contacting Georgia Boot a couple times over some premature wear issues with the boots (stitching coming loose on the sides, insoles that didn't last a week...). I never got an answer from them.

Back to the Irish Setters.... the reason they were put into "semi-retirement" was they got a bad case of swamp foot. We were working in a very marshy area and I ended up stepping into some water that went up, over and down into the boot. I will say that the Gortex was doing great until you get to the point that the water is so high that it becomes irrelevant.

About 3 weeks ago we were on vacation and visiting an outdoors/hiking/camping store and saw a pair of Oboz, I had never heard of them. They are totally different than anything I've wore before, they are a lightweight hiker, 6" (http://obozfootwear.com/products/mens-traverse-mid-bdry/). I'll post a short term review on them shortly hopefully. So far I give them a B+.

9. Green-Man

Awesome awesome awesome!!! I'm pretty much sold on them from your great review over time. Which ones do you get a B+ to? The Irish or the new ones you just found? The oboz?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. gcbailey

from WV

The Oboz... I'll try to get some new pics of all three pairs in the next couple of days... For the money the Irish Setters have been the best.
    Posted via Mobile Device