New BR600

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by silverado212, Sep 9, 2009.

1. silverado212

silverado212 LawnSite Senior Member

Just got a BR600 and man I am gonna enjoy this fall. Bought a pull behind leaf vac 8 HP Briggs on it a few weeks ago for $100 bucks. Alittle rust but runs good. Going to mount it on the tongue of my trailer and build sides for a box. Leaf removal should be a breeze this fall.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Excellant. Make sure you read your instruction manual. Use a good quality 89 or better fuel and a good synthetic oil. It should last you a good, long time.

Also be absolutely sure to read and do everything on page 21. It tells you never to just shut the blower off after running the blower hard. You MUST let it idle for a few minutes before you shut it off.

It says this in the instruction manual for every piece of Stihl equipment I've ever owned (9 pieces). A lot of people have problems with ignition coils on Stihl equipment and the failure to follow these instructions is probably the main reason.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, don't be cheap and buy low grade mix and gasoline. Use the high end stihl mix and good gasoline and you should be all set.

4. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I thought this is pretty much a must for all other equipments. You can over heat the motor if you shut off right after WOT for a while.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Most people never read their manuals. Or they do but they don't comprehend or they choose to ignore them. Just do a poll on oil change intervals one time and see what you come up with. Most Kohler and Kawsaki engines are now 100 hours on the oil and 200 hours on the filter. I've seen people say they change both at 50 hours. Why? Are they changing the oil and filter at 750 miles on their tow vehicles? Nope. The engines in our tow vehicles usually cost a lot more than a $1000 walkbehind engine. Why do they over maintain the cheap engine and ignore the expensive engine?

6. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I was going to buy one two days ago, until the dealer told me I needed to adjust the valves once a week. I am going for the kawasaki 750.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. THC

THC LawnSite Silver Member

I've had a br600 for two years. I've even used it in -20C to clear snow. I use home depot brand echo oil and cheap gas and it's sthil perfect.

8. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Never thought about using one to clear snow, is it faster than a snow blower. A 6" storm in my area is a catastrophe, state of emergency is declared and no one is allowed on the roads, that's how much snowfall we get. We usually get 2-4 inches if anything.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

More like once after the first 139 hours, and then "as required" after that. Though, I would probably check the valves before the initial 139 hrs. If the rope is tough to pull on a 4-mix engine, like a 2 stroke would be because of the compression, than that's a tell tale sign that your valves need to be adjusted. IMO, this is a minor maintenance requirement and the performance and productivity that can be had from a BR600 will easily out weigh it.

10. THC

THC LawnSite Silver Member

No. Unless you have no snow banks and it's very VERY light, 6", imo is too much. But for an inch or two, an the beginning of winter, before you have banks at the edge of the drive way, it's perfect.

Once there is banks, then even if it's half an inch, it's better to use a 4' shovel. It's fast and there's no blow back so you don't get covered with snow.