New Briggs Vanguard Big Block Engines.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rob1325, Nov 6, 2003.

1. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Some else posted a pick before on Briggs air cooled 31 HP. Today I read my Lawn & Landscape Mag and saw the ad. They have the new 25HP to 35 HP AIR and LIQUID cooled engines now. Wonder if any company will put these on there ZTR's. They look pretty nice.

2. rob1325

Wow they have Torque. Says they are made with joint venture with Mitsubishi and Daihatsu, which is a memeber of the Toyota group.

3. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

Ran a 31h at GIE today. Was on a BADBOY . Sounded good, ran
    smooth seemed to have a lot of torque. Salesman told me it was the most tested engine BRIGGS has done.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I've been running mine for a season now and they are very nice engines. They sound good, run quiet, make great power, have quality parts, they're easy to service, and most of all....the air cooled engines dissipate heat like a mother!!!!

I just wish mine had the heavy duty filters like the 31 hp H-shaft you saw pictured on here. But the standard filter has served me just fine. This year was wet though and I wonder how it will do in the dry.

The big thing I have to say about Briggs is that I have gotten great service out of all of mine, past and present. Also in the rare occasions I did have issues, they have an A+ rating with me for customer support when I did need something. Plus, they have a great parts/support network. It's easy to get any part you need quickly and the parts prices are much more reasonable than other brands.

With all this it's no wonder many of the good lawn tractors have the high end Briggs engines on them. (Simplicity/John Deere). So to answer your question....yes I do think you will see them as an option on many brands of ZTR's....

After all, by my post, you already know these engines are in fact already on Z's out there and have been being field tested for a while.

5. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

we have the 31 horse l.c. dahatsu on a sabre tooth no problems plenty of power runs cool great oil pressure good on gas

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

7. rob1325

That is SWEET!!, Guess SCAG put them in. That motor has loads of torque.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Envy,

You have a 31hp Vanguard on your Kees?

This is a NEW engine. How have you been running one for a season now?

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking the same thing Tommy. Envy claims to have a vertical shaft Big Block, I don't see away vertical shaft Big Block Vangaurds??? Envy, Do you have any pictures of this engine on your Kees???

10. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

Scag, Encore, Bad Boy and Bladerunner are using that engine! I do not know if any of them are going to use the l/q version of the engine though.