Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greenkeepers, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Hey All-

We finally got our new 30x60 Pole building shop done. Now the problem we have is that it was off grade so I had to fill the inside with soil to get it up to grade. Ok got that all done, didn't have a chance to roll it out though. Then comes tyrantial downpours of rain for 3 days. Without gutters or drainage around the building the inside turned into a mud pit. I've buried the bobcat in there 3 times now and the 4wd ford tractor doesn't like trying to push the mud out.

Any help on getting this dried out so I can get cement , equipment in there?????
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats! Probably already too Just kidding.

Try getting a load of 2-3" stone, like they do to make roads, and have a load dumped right at the doors and then push in with bobcat. Roll it a few times, more stone, roll it. Then get some smaller stone and run a compactor, or vibraplate all over it. You DONT want this nice new concrete floor to settle and crack. The better you can prepare the surface, the less it will settle. Spend a little extra and go a little thicker with the concrete too!

I dont know what else to tell you that you probably haven't already thought of.

Good Luck

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Man,get that sloppy fill out ,and get crushed stone in there.If you dont use stone,and tamp it-itll be a year before that settles enough to pour concrete.Here you cannot use anything other than a stone,or gravel so that doesnt happen..The 500-1500 bucks you need to spend on crushed stone is well worth it in the long run.You will never have a water problem,ever,and you can pour concrete much faster.

[Edited by John DiMartino on 04-10-2001 at 06:16 PM]
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I am surprised they let you use soil as a fill, around here we would have to use gravel. I bet you wish you had used it also. I would get that mud out of there and used gravel if possible.
  5. Greenkeepers

from NE Ohio

That was about the only alternative that I had it down to was to bring in the gravel. The problem is now I need a bulldozer to get the stuff out of there. I have 9' wide doors on it so I need to get it going.

The front needs filled about a 22" and the back is up to where it should be. I cleared it off at night with a bobcat and no lazer level. I knew it had somewhat of a slope on it but I figured it would be ok. Then they decided to use different poles than the plans so it lifted the whole building up....

I've been paying to have my stuff in storage since this dilema. And I'm really getting tired of it.....
  6. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Mud Wrestling !!!!!

Sell tickets. Get enough dough to buy the stone.

Go get 'em !!!
  7. John Allin

Sorry Mike....
    That probably wasn't very helpful.
    I feel for ya, bud....
    Bad time of the year for it to happen too.
    Can't think of anything I could do to help, but if I could I would.... where you at? Are you close enough for me to help out ?? Are you east of Cleveland??

I could give you a guy and a skid steer for a day to help move all that mud out and move stone in. It would shorten up the time you need to make it happen.
  8. Greenkeepers

from NE Ohio

Thanks John-

We're about 20min south of Cleveland. I have a bobcat but it's too soft and wet in there now that I just get stuck. I need some tracks, maybe I'll see if I can get some to use..

I printed the tickets up for the mud wrestling contest and contacted some ladies from the WWF... :) Lawnsite members free!!!
  9. John Allin

You gotta be 2.5 hours away from me then.... kinda far.... if you were in Madison or thereabouts we could run over there in less than an hour. Sorry.

But, the thought was there.