New Business Advice/Timing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A1 Grass, Sep 30, 2002.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

First, thanks to all who have been so helpful with answers to all my questions. This forum is a real pleasure to visit.

I am not completely new to lawn care, but am new to the idea of owning a lawn care business. I am a bit nervous about starting at this time of year.

Quick scenario: I'm in San Antonio Texas, so we have a LONG mowing season, and plenty of winter-rye. What should I plan on (as a 1-2 man crew) to generate business this time of year, other than mowing? Is leaf-hauling the way to go for winter? I am not very educated as a horticulturist, though with time I'll learn, but I feel that I may be limited in the services I can provide.

ANY help appreciated - ALL positive reinforcement WELCOME

2. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, CWA:

Leaves have the potential to keep you fairly busy over the next few months. However, you may wish to take some time to further your education and get qualified (licensed) to perform other services. The Bexar county extension service probably has some one or two day classes on various topics that may be worthwhile to attend.

To get certified to apply herbicides/insecticides in the state of Texas, you need to pass a series of 3 exams (one day)...they are general pesticide knowledge, pesticide law, and your chosen concentration, in my case, and presumably yours, Turf and Ornamentals. You can get the study materials from the A&M extension service for about $40. The tests are usually taken at your county extension office and are offered once every 1-3 months. For more information on getting licensed to do applications, please see:

http://www.agr.state.tx.us/pesticide/brochures/pes_genbroch.htm

You also may want to consider getting licensed to install irrigation systems. You do this through the TNRCC. You must take a class (32 hours) from a state approved entity then take the exam. Information for this may be found at:

http://www.tnrcc.state.tx.us/enforcement/csd/ics/lilicense.html

Hope this helps.