New business. Best time to advertise

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by gthompson, Aug 21, 2007.

1. gthompson

gthompson LawnSite Member

Hi,

This is my first post here. What a GREAT resource this site is.
    I live in PEI, Canada on the east coast. Our season starts May/June and ends October'ish. I was wondering what your suggestions would be as to the best time to advertise for the 2008 season? I've been reading this site for a few days and the plan right now is to offer weekly grass cutting, weeding, edging and partnered with my wife who is taking a college course on plants, shrub, trees etc. we might offer small landscaping jobs as well but for next summer I'll be focusing mainly on lawn cutting.
    I had strictly a lawn business many years ago for about 4 seasons before I went off to university and now I have 2 boys who will be 15 and 13 so I would like to establish a client base they can take over when they can drive so THEY can pay for university as well.
    When is the best time to advertise heavy for next season...now, mid winter, next spring? Also, do you prefer commercial or residential. Kind of a vague question but it's a start.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

The best time is Fall and early spring, this way you get the customers coming off a contract. By August most people have a lawn care company you can advertise but you may get an extremly low response but possibly a couple of cust which leads to neighbors etc....

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

All the time

4. greenspaceny

greenspaceny LawnSite Member

I must agree with J Hisch.
    From early spring until fall always have a couple plans in place for advertising and marketing. Keep selling! It's never a bad thing to have back log of work..
    GOOD LUCK!

5. greenspaceny

greenspaceny LawnSite Member

I must agree with J Hisch.
    From early spring until fall always have a couple plans in place for advertising and marketing. Keep selling! It's never a bad thing to have back log of work..
    GOOD LUCK!

6. GroundForce007

GroundForce007 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

you can advertise anytime