New Business Decision

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MuskTurfKing, Jan 18, 2002.

1. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

After a bit of thinking today, I've come to a conclusion.

For a long time I've wanted to have a lot of accounts, make lots of money, make it fast, not have to go to college, and own a big company when I am young.

Things are turning around for me. I have to go to college regardless of what I want, my parents are making me, and I want to go. I would like a big company now, but why invest thousands and thousands into something where I'm going to make a lot of money, but as soon as I acquire all the mowers, trucks, and all that good stuff, have to stop completely to go to college? I want to do something with turf, and maybe tree work.

I think my game plan is going to be the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid. I don't need tons of money right now, so I think I'll just try to have around 10-15 weekly accounts, keep my current truck, have a small trailer, a good 21", and maybe a 36" or a 48", and good comm. handheld stuff. I still want to be a kid, I only get this chance once, I don't want to work my entire teenage life. I can still make more money than my friends, and not have to work but a few days a week.

I have the rest of my life after college to work and own a big, (successful) business.

It may not be the route for some, but I think it is for me.

Hank

2. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Nice Thinking Kid......... Good Luck !!!!!!!:p

3. MuskTurfKing

Thanks Nelson,

I forgot to mention that if I tried to be huge, I would actually profit NOTHING, it would all be re-invested into the business.

4. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, Musk get your ducks in a row. You seem to be a smart kid & that's a good thing. You have all your life ahead of you. But my advice is to go to College & get a Degree in something, and if all fails you will have something to fall back on. Good Luck..........
    :cool:

5. PRECISION LC

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

I just went throught this same perdiciment. But i knew I wanted to go to college and grow my business to a substantial size. Let me tell you it takes alot of planning and great organizational skills to get through a week. this past season comming into my freshmen year of college I was running a 48"w/b, a 21" on a 8'x5' trailer, going to 15 hrs. of school, a basketball manager, and cutting 35 lawns. i had to know where and when i would be places. Not to mention trying to do homework. I would love to grow my business into something to talk about, yesterday, i too have had the itch. But, i know that school is the right thing for me know, and with out it i would almost be up a creek w/o a paddle. My advice to you is stay in school and aquire enough accounts to stay busy(you can always hire another person).

Kyle

6. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

That's rite finish school it will still be there!!!!!!

Things will be a lot better

7. jerry johnston

jerry johnston LawnSite Member
    from SE MN

If you put as much thought in going to college as you just did on your posting, you are going to do well at what ever you do. Go to college now when you have the desire. It is much more difficult when you are older. I was 35 when I received my two degrees.

My advise would be to mow lawn in the summer, and go to college in the winter, that way everyone is happy including your parents and youm will still have some money to fool around with!

8. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

not to turn this off topic, but college girls. nuff said, grass will still be there in four years

9. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Make some $$$ now, go to college and put at least 200/300 dollars away each month for 10 years. Invest it in the stock market & real estate and leave it alone. By the time you are approaching 40 or 45. You will be worth 1 million. Wish I'd done that.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

10. MuskTurfKing

That would be a good idea. After thinking some more, here's some more of my thoughts.

I think my max workload for my teen years will probably be about 15 lawns. I still have school in the spring, and in the fall, and I have wrestling. I was thinking, I have 3, really 2 1/2 seasons (I leave to go to college), is it really worth it to spend 3-4k on a w/b that I'll only get to use for 2 seasons and then have to stop for college? If I have 15 lawns, I may just use my lawn tractor, keep it running (which I think is possible, I think it's built well.) and then purchase a commercial 21". It's really hard for me to resist buying all the cool stuff now, but whenever I really start to profit from it, I have to quit to go to college. Sure, I can start my business there and work, but this is'll be only chance at college to have fun, I don't want to spend all my time on the weekends working. I think I'm making sense...you tell me.

Hank