New business filing requirements.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfer, May 9, 2000.

1. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

I've been doing lawn maintenance part time and would like to get more work. This may be a dumb question but what are the requirements for registering your business ? <br>Do I incorporate to protect the name ? Do I need a license ? Do I need a tax I.D. number? Do you need an attorney to do this for you and can I do it all ?<br>

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure about NC, but in PA if you name the business something other that doesn't include your last name, then you have to file a fictitiouss name form which registers you with the state so they know how to find you. (i.e. &quot;Jimbob's Lawn Service&quot; would need to file a fictitious name form as it is first name only) Incorporation is a lot of money as well as a lot of paperwork. Usually not worth it unless you are concerned with liabilities, but then that's why you get insurance coverage. If you go the sole proprietorship and working alone way you don't need a federal tax number since your SS# is your number. You may need a state sales tax id. You best should contact your state's business bureau...here's the address http://www.state.nc.us/business/

3. mountain man

mountain man LawnSite Member

In NC you will need to file a fictious business name form in each county you do business. As you grow, I would plan on getting tax id #s so you can keep business and personal monies separate. I would also plan on incorporating or becoming a LLC when possible. Even with insurance you can loose everything if a bad enough accident happens. With incorporating, it gives you additional protection where your personal assets are not at risk. <p>What part of NC are you located in? I have incorporated several companies in NC and could probably give you some contacts to help get you started.

4. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

Thanks Mountain man. I'm in the Raleigh N.C. area. I've already filed an application to reserve a corporate name. Any other help would be greatly appreciated.<br>

5. mountain man

mountain man LawnSite Member

Turfer:<br>Email me directly at jmn3@ix.netcom.com for additional questions you may have.