New Business Grants

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by josh_evans66, Feb 19, 2007.

1. josh_evans66

josh_evans66 LawnSite Member

I didn't see any forums pertaining to this topic. I am looking to start a lawncare business soon. As far as I could tell I had two options; save up for equipment, or get a business loan. Recently I heard of a third option, a business grant. A coworker informed me that I could apply for a business grant through the Better Business Bureau. Of course grants don't require that you pay them back.
    Has anyone here on this site received a business grant? If so, how could I apply?

Thanks,
    Josh Evans

2. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I've looked into it before, it seemed too complicated to get approved. You are supposed to propose a letter that is supposed fit a certain format, or they won't even consider it. I gave up on it. I would recommend that if you don't know how to write it, find someone that does.

3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't have the money to start up with then you should get yourself a business plan together and then take it to a bank and see if they will give you a loan. Buy the best way is to try to start up with your own money if you got it!

4. josh_evans66

Well actually i'm getting ready to graduate and part of my bachlor degree is business. I have had to write a ton of formal letters and proposals so that might not be too hard. Those were just for college courses however. I would like to at least try if I knew where or how.
    Your totally right. It would be better to use my own money. I've worked full-time all through school but I don't make enough right now to pay right out. My plan is to start small (one mower, one trailer, and all the miscellaneous equipment) and go from there. I'm just anxious and getting ahead of myself. It's always seems better to save.

5. PalmettoGreen

PalmettoGreen LawnSite Member

I'm looking into getting a grant also. I found a program called Grant Seeker Pro it cost $80 but guarantees you receive some money or your money back. Like someone else said it is all in how your proposal is worded. It has a section for fed, state, and local gov. grants. Just received the package yesterday so havn't really set down and looked it over. If interested google it thats how i found it.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

As with all forms of government subsidies (such as unemployment, va benefits, et.al.), I find it usually involves at least as much trouble as it would've been doing it the hard way :laugh:

7. grassnazi1

grassnazi1 LawnSite Member

You will not get anywhere with Grant Seeker Pro, do a little further google searching into that company, yesyou will EVENTUALLY get your money back, the refund turn around time is like 4 months. It is possible to apply and get grant funding for a business, but you need to be meeting the governments needs first. The more needs you fulfill the better chances you have for obtaining a grant. You will most certianily need a business plan at the very least... A written grant proposal keyed to the specific grant you are trying for and a follow thru letter with updates after you recieve a grant. There is no magic formula or easy way to get a grant. Grants are competetive and hard to get, but are possible! You need to find out what your local governments needs are and start conforming your business to meet those needs. You can go to your local COmmunity Development Center and ask them for a copy of your areas consolidated plan. (or check out the library) This plan is like your local areas "wish list" it outlines all there needs and what they are dictating funding towards. Fill the needs, get the funding. any other questions, just PM me.

8. josh_evans66

Thanks Grassnazi. That makes a little more sense why the government would give away money in the first place. I don't believe i'm interested in tailoring my business to certain needs but i'll check it out anyway.

9. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a FYI, you won't qualify for a business grant for lawn maintenance, most grants are given for research purposes. You can qualify for a low interest loan(SBA) you can find more information at SBA.gov. I hope that will help.

10. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I've heard it is hard to get a loan through SBA too. I'd rather use a low interest credit card. Which I did for a little start up capital.