New Business: Great Idea

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SDNCLAWNCARE, Jun 14, 2006.

1. SDNCLAWNCARE

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I think to many people go into debt to start their small business. Personaly I believe that no debt eases the stress from starting a new business. When writing a business plan that includes a loan you are banking on business that hasn't even been promised yet. It makes the idea more difficult but look at the rewards, less stress, and less pressure to succeed. Just a basic idea I thought was good. What do you guys think?

2. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

I think its best to start small and build your way up without going into debt. When you start out with 3 lawns theres no sense in a 60" ztr. I started small and whenever everything could not be done with a 21" in time I upgraded and so on.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

yes it may make things more comfortable.... but, it is the smart businessman who uses OTHER PEOPLES MONEY to build a business, not there own.....:)

i dont regret financing my mowers at all, best decision i have ever made.... i started with what i had and then build up a customer base then bought commercial z's throug financing, in the first 1/4 of year 2, they have already paid for themselves

4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes especially when you don't have any money of your own. :laugh:

5. SDNCLAWNCARE

Different ideas for different people. Grow slow and build with CASH only. This allows you to not be a slave to your equipment and business. Just my opinion.

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

this a business with low barriers to entry.... look at other business in the community, its impossabe, or next to impossable to succeed in most any business without at least a line of credit, even if its just paying suppliers

7. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Lawn care does not take a lot of money to get started. Thats why so many people are out there. I think it depends on you attitude, if you think you might fail then dont get in to deep. If you know you can make it work and you will do everything you can to succeed then I see no problem getting in to dept to make a good business. I bought out a huge competior a couple years back and I needed a pretty large business loan to make the purchase. I have the attitude that I have to succeed or I will lose everything and so far it has worked out great.

8. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm mulling over leasing a truck or financing a used one. For snow plowing and lawns next year, my truck isn't a 4x4

9. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool LawnSite Member

A loan is not other people's money.

10. SDNCLAWNCARE

I would never lease a vehicle unless your had maybe a fleet.. Go pay cash for a good snow truck and make enough money this season to buy you a newer one next year! Just a thought