1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Business - Landscape Design

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ParadiseSettings, Apr 28, 2004.

1. ParadiseSettings

ParadiseSettings LawnSite Member

I am in the very early phases of starting my own business. What I want to do is design landscapes for landscape contractors. I dont have any intrest is installing the landscape, I just want the design work.

I went to school for landscaping and design and I won several state and national recognitions for my work.

My question is if this is something you guys would be interested in. I am not trying to sell anything to you I just want some feedback before I go too deep in to this venture.

Would you be willing to hire some one for your design work?
    How much you pay for a landscape plan?

Please give me some feed back.

Thanks in advance.
  2. larz

larz LawnSite Member

Thats a tough call. Many landscape firms will eat the cost of the design when you let them have the install contract. That doesn't mean their designer doesn't get paid, it just means that they mostly want someone on staff that they can pay a salary to & also have some input on the design itself. If your good, I would suggest working for someone instead. I also know that you can strictly design only, but you may want to have another job as well.
  3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Up to this point I have always done my own design. I have just found it easier to do my own designs and then go out and do the installs.

I would probable have to get to the point where I coudn't keep up with things before considering subbing it out.

One of the biggest factors of subbing out the work would be a quick turn-around, I would need it to be somewhere in the area of a 48hr return.
  4. EnvEdge

EnvEdge LawnSite Member

Well for us the little jobs we do the design work based on customers' desires. As for the large jobs, ours usually are already drawn up by the landscape architect of the firm that built the building and we follow that design.

You might want to try to find a builder.
  5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Envedge, I think your best bet is with a Building Contractor.