1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New business name?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Rfd519, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Rfd519

Rfd519 LawnSite Member

i need some help thinking of a business name, cant use my last name, brother already took it, trying to find something that sounds professional, thanks for all the ideas, also how can i find out if someone already has it? O btw how do i go about getting a business ID and tax stuff in order? thanks
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't matter if yourf brother us using your name or not. If it is your name (or even if it isn't, you can use it if you want. You just put a different title after it. What is your brother's business called? I will give you a better name than his if you like.
    As far asthe registering the business name and aquiring a DBA, that is done down at your county offices.
  3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Just add your first initial to your last name.

ENDURO LawnSite Member

NO, NO, NO. Do not use your name. You want your business to seem as LARGE, commercial, professional, and successful as possible. Customers do not care that your personal name is somehow jimmy-rigged into your business name. It works sometimes, but it's rare. Unless your last name is DELL, forget about it. Look at the most successfull businesses around and try and mimic them. Do you think Microsoft would have gotten off the ground as fast if it was named Jim-Bobs software? Look at most of the great names on this site. Most are not peoples names.
  5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Dell computers.... works for them.
    MicroSoft could have been "Gates Software"

Jack Daniels?

Yep..... don't use your name in the biz name.... you'll be doomed.
  6. Rfd519

Rfd519 LawnSite Member

hmm what about Quality Lawn Care or just QLC for short? thanks for all the input
  7. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

I always thought "lawn care" didn't sound very professional. I do like the name quality thogh. I also like ADVANCED LANDSCAPE MAINTENANCE then you could use A.L.M. for short. Our yours sounds much better at QUALITY LANDSCAPE MAINTENANCE short Q.L.M. just my thoughts, good luck with your new biz remember "quality" really is everything:usflag:
  8. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Never mind about the advance just seen someone else with that name on business management post looks really good too. business management forum under logos. check it out
  9. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

haha, i had a hard time coming up with my name...first it was Alien Lawn Care, i even got it started with the state an all, then relized oh ****....what if people think of it as illegal aliens?....so 175 bucks later to file a name admendment with the state :) its now The King of Greens.

Here are a few others that I thought about but they were taken in my area.

Clean Cut
    Ground Effects

All i can say, is come up with something that stands out from the norm, something that yells at them!

my name came to me because time and time again I have been told that I remind people of the guy from the king of queens (the tv show).

Good Luck!!
  10. Rfd519

Rfd519 LawnSite Member

someone said i need to call the county to get the business lisc or w/e but have been unable to find the right ppl.... i think im going to stick to QLC, thanks for all the input again...