1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Business Name

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rutwad, Aug 20, 2006.

1. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I need some input for a Business name. I will be using a skid steer and mulcher attachment for land clearing. I don't think I should call it a land clearing business since I can't clear the entire property. I had thought about land cleaning, but that sounds odd. I figure many people are still not aware of this type of service, therefore I wanted a name that would give them some incite, at least make them consider it and look more into it.

For example, say I advertise as a mulching service. Some people that have overgrown acreage may not realize what I could do for them. Maybe some people have overgrown property, yet have not even thought about having it cleaned up. I want a name that would attract them if they run across my name and make them think about it's potential uses.

2. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

A business name is also marketing. I need a name that someone will remember, yet it need to be specific enough that potential customers know what type service I can provide.

Should my name be used? For example SMITH'S LAND CLEARING or JACKSON'S LAND MANAGEMENT

I've considered using "Land management" or "land clearing", but I think it is too vague.

I need your input
  3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Location and what you provide.
    ie: Western land improvement or Alabama land prep.
    good luck.
  4. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

What do you guys think of

Innovative Land Clearing
  5. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

I like it different and catchy.
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry.....but for a business name, esp since you really aren't being "innovative" with your business since you are just using a skid steer and mulcher attachment it sux and would be very misleading.
  7. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

From what I've seen, I think this way of clearing property is innovative. Most people still use doziers, then chip, burn, or haul debris away. This mulches as it goes.

ON the other hand, it won't be innovative forever, but it's a start.
  8. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

How about something along the lines of :" RECYCLE LAND CLEARING " Curious enough for people to want to ask- How are you different? I guess this method saves the client,time and money and results in clean fill being returned to the property. Just my 2 cents...
  9. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

That's what I'm looking for. Something that will make the client want to know more. For example, if someone recently bought 12 acres and decided to sell 4 3 acre lots. Now if the land has a few large trees, but is grown up with underbrush. Maybe the owner thought about cleaning the lots, but decided against it because he is not aware of this option. Maybe he thinks someone will bring in a bulldozer, pile everything up after uprooting it and exposing the dirt, then it will have to be burned if allowable, buried, or hauled away. Until grass grows to cover the bare dirt, it is succeptable to erosion. Plus will the fee of cleaning the land with multiple pieces of equipment be beneficial to his sale. Maybe he has thought about all of this and decided against it.

Now if he runs across my business advertisement flyer or whatever I decide, I want the name to make him realize there are other, better alternative. I want the name to grab enough attention so that a potential client will take the time to actually read it and think of using it themselves. If I advertise as "Smith's Land Clearing", he would probably pass it by without a second look. I need a creative name that will help in marketing my service. I think getting started will be the hardest. From there I can put signs up at properties I clean, and maybe word of mouth along with my advertising will help me expand. But for starters, I need a name to "lure-in" potential clients.

What are some ideas? :help:
  10. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Reading through my last post, I thought of

Alternative Land Cleaning Solution