New business, New machines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clint, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Hello, I'm just starting up a new business, I have purchased all the gear i needed except a commercial grade lawn mower. I am mowing right now with a snapper push mower, its a nice one, it works, but im shopping for something more professional, and more efficient. I dont want to spend anything like 6 or 7 grand, thats too much. If anyone could point me in the direction of a nice commercial grade walk behind mower I would appreciate it. Heres a machine i was looking at:

http://toro.com/professional/lce/prolinegear/tbarfloat/30259.html

Thanks
    Clint

P.S. - Is the hyrdo gearing worth the big cost that comes with it, I really dont want to pay that much and probably wont, but I am wondering what is so great about it.

2. clint

I cant advise you about the toro i dont own one. but i can tell you the hydro is worth it .You can backup better go faster and you wont get as tired .But a good 48 or 52 walkbehind is gonna still run some pretty good bucks.I would if i were you look at a scagg or exmark .I had bad luck with scagg hydro riders but ive had great luck with their walk behinds.THE beltdrives will slip when you have to mow after heavy rains

3. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Thanks odin,

About the scaggs, which deck size would you advise me to get? I want something big enough that I can do large yards, and how much would a scagg walk behind hydro cost me with that deck?

Clint

P.S. -how much less would a walk behind with hydro gearing cost than a riding one? If not that much difference, i would like to go with the riding, i doubt that though. thanks again! :)

4. Odin00 (if that's your real name) you need to get a clue.

The mower pictured at the TORO website is nothing more than an eXmark with t-bar steering.

5. CLINT

First let me say dont let my advise stop you from at least demoing a toro because i know nothing about them.i have their 21 inch machine but have never owned a big toro.I DO KNOW SCAG AND EXMARK .The deck size will depend on what size lawns you mow.We have a 52in stiff deck and a 36in floating deck .The floating deck ulitimate as scagg calls it to me is better it lays down great stripes.The hydro riders from scagg i would and this is just my opinion stay away from.EXMARK rider we have has been great .

6. casey

casey Guest

The SFS deck on that unit differentiates significantly from the Tri-vantage deck which would be on the Exmark. The SFS is useful in thick turf, while the Exmark deck is better suited to mulching. There are major differences beween the two units.

7. MR STONE (OR IS IT REALLY VI LENIN)WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO TO
    A FAT FARM ?IF YOU DO I WILL SEND YOU A TICKET TO FORT BRAGG NORTH CAROLINA AND MY COMRADS DOWN THERE IN THE 82ND AIRBOURNE CAN TAKE IT OFF FOR YOU

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The Toro's not a bad choice, but I think you would better yourself with an Exmark. Gravely has come leaps and bounds this last year with their new walbehinds, also. As far as size goes, that would really depend on your market. Do you do real small areas, or some open areas as well. Do you do gated yards? If so, how big arethe gates? One thing is for sure, I wouldn't go anything under a 48" deck. This seems to be a great all around universal size for these mowers. Also, as you're shopping, you'll notice the hydros are of a significant price difference than the gear drives. If this is going to be a primary machine, (and you can cut aLOT of grass with one of these), than I would DEFinitely go the extra mile, and go with the hydro. You won't regret it, and be SO glad you did. With this, you can hook up a solid mount sulky, and mow till your hearts content. (That's never for me. I always want to cut just a little bit more). Anyway, good luck with it, and welcome to the biz. :)

9. casey

casey Guest

There is also the issue of the different shade of red paint.

10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

toro fixed deck 48" gear drive $2699 t-bar steering. same deck as exmark fixed deck. t-bar is so easy to use my wife and 13 yr old son learned quickly. as a business your return on the dollars you spend for this machie will be at a maximum. Get the velke and you can cut in 5th gear. If you lawns are residential 1/4 acre with some smaller and a few larger , this is your answer. This purchase for me back in 96 launched my business.