1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Business Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bucmaster, Sep 4, 2003.

1. bucmaster

bucmaster LawnSite Member

First let me say that so far this summer I have gained a lot of knowledge and tips from this forum.

My questionis this,and it is muiti part;"How much per acre do you charge? what is the beast way to approach a commercial/residential prospect? how do you handing your taxes(with software or through a agency?)

The reason for the question is this. I have been working for someone this year and I want to go it alone. If I am doing 20 to 30 yards for someone I just think that I should go ahead I go out on my own. More money for me and more benifits also.

I am going to geet my insurance and license soon and would like to start placing bids,but I have never written an effective proposal and would appreciate any and all input on bids and contracts.

I know the knowledge is out there on this site and I would love any and all input on starting my new LCO this coming season.

Thanks in advance.
  2. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

bucmaster...This is my first season I got lucky and got 3 really big landscaping projects which acutually put my biz in the black! (If i don't buy anything or anything breaks and i have to fix it(knock on wood))..
    I still haven't made any money yet... All i'm trying to say is you prolly won't make any money the first year so keep yourself another job!
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the amount that you charge per acre depends on the type of overhead that you have.

I don't feel also that there is a for sure answer to approaching commerical or residential. Everybody is different and different techniques work for the different people. Just try some sample techniques and see how they do.

Taxes, payroll I do myself (actually software does it), and my annual taxes my accountant does them.
  4. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

The price per acre also depends on your equipment. Larger equipment means you can lower a little bit and still make $$$.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

true equipment can also be a factor