New Business, Scag Mowers?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Loggerhead, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Loggerhead

Loggerhead LawnSite Member

Hello

I am a newbie looking to cut some lawns here in Florida. I am looking at a 2004 Scag 52 Turf Tiger with a 23hp Kawasaki LC and the Advantage deck. I have read and heard these are great mowers. This mower was homeowner used and only has 115 hours on it. The guy wants $6000 which sounds like
    a good price for a like new mower of this caliber. Any info would be appreciated.

Just wondering but Scag uses a dive shaft instead of belts to power the blades I think. What if you hit something like a root or whatever, does it tear up the drive train????

Thanks in advance.

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a fair price,it would work for me another 52 inch cut as for the drive shaft very seldom you will have trouble i have hit stuff hard and it will bend a blade.

3. bigcountry01

bigcountry01 LawnSite Member

sounds like a pretty decent deal since it has low hours on it but i would go with exmark. just my oppinion. Scag makes good mowers but i just perfer exmark. you should atleast go look at them and check out your options.

4. Loggerhead

I have been looking for a really good used mower. Basically looking at 3 brands in particular, Scag, Exmark, Dixie Chopper. I know there are other good mowers out there other than these 3. I know a few people in the business and these were their choices. I am trying not to pay $10,000+ for a new mower as I have all the other equipment. Most of the used Exmarks I've seen have allot of hours on them. I'm trying to start slow and have a fairly reliable machine. The cash prices I was quoted for these new mowers just didn't seem like a good deal, $400 to $500 off what I would pay if financed. I have noticed on the web that some of the better deals up in Tenn. Ark., Ohio, etc... had some good deals but I don't care to drive up to check them out. Price's in Florida are pretty high I've noticed.

Thanks again

5. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

I dont know but thats a pretty high price for a three year old mower.... even though it has 115 hours, it could have been well abused. i dont think i would pay that much, and yes i am a toro/exmark fan, but i dont think scags are bad either...

6. lawn guy1350

My Toro brand new was 7500 bucks taxes and all. thats way under your $10,000 mark. And their still around that price for the 07's.

7. Loggerhead

I will check out a new Exmark tomorrow. I had a friend who manages a 40 truck fleet lawn business in South Fla. look at the SCAG mower and said it was perfect. Just thought I'd get some other opinions.

Thanks again

8. lawn guy1350

We all have our favorites, and Toro is mine! you can go to dealer lots and drive the mowers around there. pick which one you like the best.

9. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Just compare pumps,moter and cut and price,also do you know usa pressure washers in Melbourne.

10. Loggerhead

Just compare pumps,moter and cut and price,also do you know usa pressure washers in Melbourne

I have done allot of research and there is very little negative on these 3 brands. The motors Koeler, Kawasaki seem pretty standard on most of the gas mowers. They all seem to cut good from what I have read. The prices are the issue for me. When you mentioned pumps, which ones specifically.

No I don't know the business name USA Pressure Washers. One of your friends?

Thanks again