New business, starting out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by comrad, Mar 30, 2005.

1. comrad

comrad LawnSite Member
    from Sac

Hello all, I am starting a new company and I need to know some info. If you guys are willing til tell me. We have 3 people in our business. We have one car, Dodge Ram, and one trailer.

First I want to know what kind of equipment I should purchase.
    I have a lawn mower for my house and i was thinking of using it for back up, it is this kind TORO
    Then I have a this trimmer.
    I also have a Honda HR21-S. It is pretty old but the engine is kind of new. I want to know what kind of edger, lawn mower, Hedge Clipper i need. I think i can use the Toro and Echo for back up, right. And what are the most important things to look for in a lawn mower.
    Oh yeah, the price... For the mower i guess anything around 1000$, just tell me what gets the most bang for the buck. And its better to buy something that will last me longer than something that will break fast.

2. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

my advice is to 1st fire your 2 partners.. Then build up your clients and in a year maybe you can hire one of them back...

3. comrad

comrad LawnSite Member
    from Sac

Its my 2 sons, i am starting it with them, getting clients is no problem for me, my brother is in the business and he will sell some of his over to me and i have other ways. Dont warry, i want to know about the equipment.

4. ztoro

how big are the properties that you mowing? .25 acres .5 acres, 1.5 acres...

5. comrad

comrad LawnSite Member
    from Sac

oh they are small, really small, like new houses that are getting built i am not sure of the size but they are really small.

6. ztoro

if they are smaller than 1/4 acre lots your probably best of just having a few 21 inchers...

for 1000 you could probably a decent used 32", maybe even a 36".. do a search on the Redhawk mowers... you could probaly get a small new one for a little more than a grand....

Your equipment yopu have seems like it will do the job fine for little awhile.. until you can upgrade...

7. comrad

comrad LawnSite Member
    from Sac

well i have the money, see i have 2 businesses, I fix cars and mow lawns. I was wondering about which brands are good, I heard that EXMARK is good and TORO is good. How about this one Metro

I want to buy another Trimmer and another mower and a Hedge Clipper. Its just I talked to some people and they said if you mower is not commercial it wont last long when you use it every day for a couple hours. And my trimmer is good but i want a back up. By the way, thanks for helping me out.
    Oh yeah, they are smaller than 1/4 acre lots.

8. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

Smaller than 1/4 acre. I would stick with small used commercial walk-behind. Or, you can get into a Better Quick 36. I have heard many great things about this mower. Check out the Ad at the top of the page. As far as the other equip. I would go to several dealers and demo. You are the only one that can judge what will work best for your own situation. Good luck!

9. gdguth

gdguth LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

i would also look into the Quick 36 if i were u.

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Go to a local dealer and demo a few different makes and models, I personally use Exmark, but everyone has thier own prefference. If you were planning on using your homeowners model that you have been using for a number of years I don't think its going to hold up under everyday usage. You need to really find out if you can use a bigger size mower like a 36" for some of your lots, for obvious reasons (bigger, but not too big for most common sized yards).