1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Business Stratagey Really Works!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Micheal Deason, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Micheal Deason

Micheal Deason Banned
    from PA

Hi everyone,
    I want to share with you a business strategy I used last year that really worked. I picked up over 60 new customers for my 3yr old lawn maintenance co. using this method.
    I would simply follow another Lawn Care Co. around (discreetly of coarse)& when they left a prop. I would present myself at the door & offer the customer 10% off whatever they were currently paying. I would leave a flyer with a similar statement if the customer was not home.
    The presentation to the customer must be done tactfully and professionally so the customer feels you are saving them from a price gouger.
    The response was overwhelming & less than 1 year later I have inched most of these customers back up to the prices they were paying previously. Plus I am able to oversell ferts & extras to make up for the minor mowing price reduction.
    Hope some of this helps & if anyone has other great ideas I'd love to hear them.
    Growing my company through ideas!
    Share the wealth!
  2. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

I know this is just a post to get responses but that tool is what is bringing down the industry. Under cutting somebody by $2.00 is what is hurting us all.
  3. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

It's called jerking the chain. That is what he is doing. Replying to this and trying to educate him is pointless. He is around on other boards.
  4. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Thats a good strategy for getting an *** whoopin:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  5. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I think that's a good strategy for getting 4 nails in your truck tires and some equipment stolen.. or something... I sure wouldn't be advertising my means of operation if I was doing that..
  6. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I try to remain friendly with other operators in my area, I don't try to piss them off by stealing thier accounts. Sounds kind of "scrubby"to me.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I am hoping this is some kind of a joke post, otherwise that is a totally underhanded way to practice business. You are basically having the customer fire the other guy who might be doing a good job for 2 bucks! How would you like it if you were out there busting ***** on a lawn and a guy with an MTD 21"er came up and told the customer he'd do it for $10 less! Totally uncool! We should all be raising prices. You wouldn't catch a plumber doing that?
  8. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

chopique is that you :rolleyes:

this and a beer good entertainment for a rainy fri night:dizzy:
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Is there a shortage of lawns to mow in your area? If so, stiff competion is a must. If not, do you not realize you are shooting your own self in the foot? Do you not think your new customers are educated enough to realize that what you undercut the old guy by you are making up somewhere else? If they aren't educated, don't you think they'll eventually catch on to you when they go adding things up at the end of the year? Then they'll realize they've been screwed and resent you for it. Maybe they'll even drop you for trying to pull the wool over their eyes.

Now with all that said, if it don't come back to haunt you, are these really the kind of customers you want? Ones you know for a fact will drop you for a 10% discount. That's like trusting a woman who cheated on her husband with you!!!

Maybe once you get relaxed on these accounts, maybe someone will do you the same way and you'll hurt for money.

Why not go next door for an account and let your work draw you customers? Guess what? You can charge what the other guy charges or more and make more profit with better customers honestly.

Go across the street or across town! Do anything but drive prices down and hurt your own industry. Remember, the other guy probably has a family to feed too!!!

If you KNOW someone is getting gouged, then be my guest and put a stop to it with your bid! We don't need those kind messing up our industry either!!!

:angry: :blob2: :angry: :blob2:
  10. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to have some fun with this guy, take a look at the L&L board and do a search for Deason (the same guy.)

He has a rating system. The more experience that you have and the more that you have to offer to the crowd you get to put more *'s next to your name.

Most of these posts are worth the sheer comedy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.