New Business, when to start this year?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by westernmdlawn, Feb 9, 2004.

1. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone! I'm starting up this year with Landscaping. I've already been doing lawn care for a while now, and decided that landscaping is where I need to be in my my area anyway. My question for everyone is basically when do I start? I want to do the following: Spring/Fall Clean ups, mowing, mulching, stone work (pavers and walls), ponds, planting trees & shrubs, and general landscape installations (no design work at this time). I know that I can start my Spring cleanups here soon. I am in Western Maryland and right now, its about 15 degrees out, and 1 foot of snow on the ground!!!! I mean, can I begin doing stone work before it warms up a bit? What about the ground freezing and stuff, I suppose that would make it difficult to get a good base row? I know I can't plant stuff untill temps get above freezing, right? I have been plowing lots of snow this winter, but I can't keep busy doing that all the time!!!! I work on my legwork and stuff alot when its not snowing. But, I guess I'll just have to play it by ear as far as when to start what? I already have several good jobs lined up.

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I save all my retaining walls for winter. As long as you dig past the frost line there no problem

3. trailboss

trailboss LawnSite Member

In my opinion you need to start thinking about design, because without it you may have a tough time selling as many landscape installs as you would like.
    Just something to simmer on while its cold out.

4. Green Gopher

Green Gopher LawnSite Member

I use prolandscape software and close 85 to 90% of landscape bids because of the design work. It is often hard to get the client to see what you have in mind for them. The old drafting board and color pencils will get you by, but with a digital camera and a good software program your ideas are very clear.

5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can dig the holes and find the plant material, you can plant anything (hardy stuff at least) in the winter. Just don't leave the root ball above ground very long in sub-freezing temps...

Dan