1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new business- which mower to buy???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jason Creel, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Jason Creel

Jason Creel LawnSite Member

Here the situation. I am starting a business. Someone is buying the equipment for me so the upfront money is not a concern. I am only getting one ZTR at the moment. Should I get a 36" hustler mini Z so I can fit through gates, or get a larger (48" or 52") ZTR along with a walk behind. Remember, I'm not concerned with which is cheaper. I'm concerned with which is smarter. I want the 36" so I can also get a bagger to pick up leaves and for customers insisting on bagging. I'm open to suggestions on the mower and if I don't get a bagging mower, how to I do leaf cleanup. Thanks
  2. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on what type of accounts that you are cutting. If ur cutting bigger houses, then i would go with a 48" ZTR and a walk behind. Also if ur going to get a ZTR, i would get either a Exmark Lazer or a cub cadet tank
  3. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

for me, My mower will be 48". I am choosing that because of my 5x10 trailer and because I think 48" is the perfect size. Of course wider is better......
    I am debating the Exmark Lazer Z HP or the Cub tank myself.

DK, What does each usually cost?
  4. mc1ark

mc1ark LawnSite Member

What about Husqvarna? Is that a good mower? I too am looking at what mower to start up my lawn service with. Why do people have a few mowers...walk behinds and different size zero turns all on 1 trailor?
  5. DK lawn care

I got mine fore a good deal. New i think they are 6,000. I paid 4,500 for it and it only had 150 hours on it.
  6. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, Seems like the Tank is a WAY better deal.
  7. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

You might see a lot of opinions on this sight but let me give you some advice from experience.
    We were on here last year asking similar questions about brands specifically Husqvarna, and we got mixed opinions.

So here you go; We decided with new exmark mowers, one 48" TTHP and one 60" lazer. We got a good deal and have a good dealer (important). We bought a Husqvarna 48 " walk behind (belt drive) USED 03 model for a back up and we can honestly say that it cuts as good as the exmark with the ultra cut deck. and we look at other lawns cut by scags, hustlers, and exmarks and this older mower cuts every bit as good or better in some cases. Now most of our comparisons are when cutting fescue.

I will go ahead and throw in some more advice... Use a two wheel sulke, it will be easier to use and it will NOT leave that hideous line in lawns... it will actually help with the stripes.

Don't get me wrong we are very happy with our exmarks and we would do the same thing over again, but if you have a Good husqvarna dealer in your area I would definately recommend there product from my experience. Don't get caught up in the brand loyalty that a lot of people on this site have.

If you want a good belt drive I will hook you up with a good cutting and reliable 48" husqvarna BELT drive (900.00) Husqvarna. And I promise you that the only reason I am willing to part with it is that it is a belt drive. Hydro is the way to go if you can afford it but if your budget is tight a gear/belt drive cuts as good but requires a little more work to get in and out of tight spaces.

To answer you question about why people have multiple mowers.
    After you start mowing more and more you will realize that almost every situation would have been easier with a different piece of equipment. Thats why they make them all. You will start thinking that if you had a certain mower you could shave x amount of time and you could get more work done or you could save payroll... This is when you have to be smart and make a smart business decision. Is it worth the investment or could I be more profitable with my current equipment?

8. mc1ark

mc1ark LawnSite Member

what is a 2 wheel sulke? Also how much would i expect to spend on a 48" WB exmark TTHP? The dealer here sells exmark and husqvarna.
  9. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

mc1ark: There are options that you can buy to make the job easier when using a walkbehind (referred to on this site as WB). There are velkies and sulkes. The sulkes are the way to go. The sulke is a small platform with two wheels that hooks to the WB in the place where the user would normally stand. It has an area on it for you to stand on, so you don't have to walk. It makes the days a lot easier because you simply just stand on the platform on the sulke and operate the WB as normal. Its also good to have since most of the WB's go 6+ mph. That speed would be hard to keep up either walking or running all day, plus it would wear you out. Lot easier to ride while standing. You should be able to find some pics of them on google. Just search images and sulkes, and that will give you an idea.
  10. DK lawn care

StevenF, y do u say that?