1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rawlingslw, Aug 13, 2005.

1. rawlingslw

rawlingslw LawnSite Member

Hello everyone my name is Lance. I have just recently started my own lawn business full time and I was wandering if anyone would head me in the right direction on how to get some commercial accounts. I have been laid off from the utility business in the Dallas Texas area. I would appreciate any help that I can recieve.

Thanks Lance
  2. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

Well first off do you have insurance and a business liscense? Most commercial accounts will want you to have insurance. After that you might want some references. You need to give them something that is more appealing, like a portfolio or something. You might want to just make some calls and see when certain people are accepting bids or if they are in a contract. After you have come up with that info, go over and check out the properties and get a ballpark figure. It will all come with time. It is difficult to do commercials without references, and most of the time, the cheapest price..
  3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

dont just jump right into commercials, build up your business on residentials first so that your making good money and then add to your business with commercial properties. Commercials can make you go broke in a heart beat, most are slow paying, and you can really underbid them and not make a penny if you arent carefull!
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Absolutely correct, it was recommended to me not mess with commercial until you got several years (4 or 5 minimum) under your belt and are financially stable with deep pockets:
    60 - 90 day payola delay is STANDARD for commercial, and 180-day delay is not unusual - You can't take these ppl to court over this, they WILL pay, but you need mega patience and in this time you need to stay operational (ergo, money).

Like ECM said also the thing about underbidding can skru you but I have something to add and that is if you do residential for some time, you will build experience and you NEED experience also so go do lots of resis. I was told one time that once you've done a THOUSAND of something then you're an expert, so go cut 1,000 residential lots :)

Look at it this way, I'm in my 4th year and 96% of my stuff is resi, 2 of my accounts are commercial and they are verbal NO contracts because that is how I do things. By the way, the comm accounts are not the best money for me, they just happen to suit my style.
  5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Move into commercial as soon as possible , res. accounts suck .
    I quit homes as soon as I figured out that comm. was easier because they don't come out and complain to you .
    They leave you alone and don't bother you.
    residential is too personal .
    The best way is to work with some else to learn the business then go out on your own and take their accounts , just kidding
  6. rawlingslw

rawlingslw LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help out there guys.

7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

commercials usually rebid every year and take cheapest, plus high accident risk with extra cars and people. go after people who own biz. get them as res and comm account. i almost never get a complain on res. comm around here is a bit more picky. if youre getting bunch of complaints youre doing something wrong. yellow page ads generate lots of calls for both res and comm. slow pay is right. i dropped a couple cause pay would take over 3 months. have fun.
  8. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

the only commercials (2 clients) i do rite now is the tree & hedge trimming.
  9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Hay Lance: I'm kind of in the same boat your in, IN FACT were in the same town in that boat.....

Send me an email with your email address and we can get togather.....
    "you have your email blocked"
  10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi rawlingslw,

Congratulations on starting your new business. I would suggest creating some marketing material and start building up your residential customer base first.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Free Invoice Background Template Graphics.</center>