New Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jsun2254, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Jsun2254

Jsun2254 LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,
    I am a recent college grad and am thinking about starting a landscaping company. While in college I worked for a company for three years. I am wanting to come into it this fall with aeration/seeding and leaf removal I am located in NC and winter is not that rough. I am trying to get a loan through the bank right now for 20-25 K. I am going to lease a used dodge quad cab and finance the mower prob Exmark Navigator (for leave removal as well). I am wanting to focus on residential clients. South of my town on the lake wealthy communities are popping up like crazy, I mean seemingly over night. I am in the process of getting liscensed to spray herbicide and pesticide this spring and hope to really take over that industry in my area as not too many lanscapers are doing that. Any advice from some seasoned veterans. ALso is this a good idea, my parents are really kind of against this because of the risk, they are really old school though. I just dont want to look back in 10 years and say what if. I really have a passion for this line of work and am really motivated.

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Go to Sharpes They have everything you will need. You are 3 weeks to late as I just sold most of my stuff.
    You are right about the growth. and I would work down here too.
    Just get good at it before you shop the Point:)
    I will be happy to meet you and talk -- or even intro you to Sharpes.
    As you will be making money soon you will need a house to live in so I will help with that too:) :) :)

What is your degree in -- Money to be made here but also others ways too.
    Running a business is not as easy as it sounds. Hope I can help.

3. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Make sure you get insured, register your name and pay taxes. What size deck are you getting on the ExMark Navigator? Walker make the same thing but its actually better made, you might want to take a look at thiers. Also why lease the truck? If you go over milage, scratch it ext you have to pay top $$.

With the Navigator you will also want a 36" WB for fenced in yards. I would get a Hydro with the ECS controls, after runniong a belt WB for a couple of hours you entire body hurts. You will also want a Backpack Blower, weedwacker, hedge trimmer, edger, broadcast spreader, trailer preferably an inclosed one since you won't have to worry as much about people trying to steal your equipment, JRCO dethatcher for the Navigator, and if you do fall cleanups I would get a push blower like the NEW FORCE from Billy Goat and if you can afford it a leaf loader/vac for the truck. I would also put out LOTS of doorhangers, fliers, business cards, and also get magnets for the truck and trailer.

BTW Welcome to LS.

4. Jsun2254

Jsun2254 LawnSite Member

PMLAWN,
    I am familar with sharpes, my dad has ran a small engine repair shop for about 20 years and works on mowers, blowers, weedeaters, etc etc he will also be a good reference. I have no clue what you are talking about jazak about wb belt ....explain please. I just thought the exmark navigator looked good and was more affordable than a walker. Also if I lease the truck the business will pay for it...100% tax deductable.

5. PMLAWN

Go to sharps, ask for Terrell, Tell him that Bill from Property Masters sent ya, and what all the different stuff is. I agree with a Walk Behind also, Ask Terrell to let you test drive everything.

6. Jsun2254

Jsun2254 LawnSite Member

jazak I am sorry i misunderstood you post. Yes belt drive walk behinds suck. I will probably be looking at the quick 36 walk behinds.

7. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I if you have fenced in yards in your area then you will want both the Navigator and a 36" WB if you can afford it.
    What I was saying is that there are 2 types of WBs, belts or hydros. A belt is much harder to change gears then on a hydro and a hydro out performs the belt in many ways. Hydro the shifter is located near the handles on a gear the shifter is halfway down the mower on the back so you kinda have to bend a little to change gears.

8. Jsun2254

Jsun2254 LawnSite Member

i gotcha jazak

9. PMLAWN

People that do this work as a hobby have belts those doing it for profit only get hydro. They are much more profitable and cheaper to own.

10. Jsun2254

Jsun2254 LawnSite Member

thanks for the help guys any other help would be greatful