New Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by scottntues, Nov 15, 2006.

1. scottntues

scottntues LawnSite Member

I have a few questions, I had a nice start to my new Lawn Care business this year. But, Do you charge extra during the fall to pick up leaves, or do you just mow over them?

This will be a great question, What do you all recommend for a mower? I used a new Craftsman tractor with a 48 inch deck that did good, But I want to get more serious and get a zero turn. I have done some research and like the Country Clipper Charger. I look forward to your comments.

Scott :usflag:

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

light leaves-- mow over
    Too many to look good or too much N- pay to pic
    I know nothing about country clipper so can not comment on them
    BUT I feel that the better units will cost more.

3. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Never heard of country clipper ethier ,as for the leaves .Mow them over if there light, as PM Said. As for leaf clean-up ,thats a whole different game. There are way to many mowers any of us would reccomend. But you'll want to get one that has great dealer support when repairs are needed.

4. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Like TNT says ... great dealer support is very important ... at least to me it is.

:cool2:

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Stay away from the "Country Clipper". It is one of the sub-standard manufacturers that have been around for awhile, that haven't really done much of anything. Now, there ARE variable on this, but one of the largest reasons for this, is that they don't last long enough for any of them to accumulate out in the field to gain reputation. There are other names that are of this calibur as well such as "Blackrock", Prowler, Encore, Redhawk, as well as a host of others. It's funny how the cream rises to the top. That is how machines become more and more popular, - by their quality and dependability. This is what is known as field proven. Even some of the manufacturers of other equipment are trying to get on the bandwagon. Companies like Land Pride, Bush Hog, and a few others are now manufacturing mowers...built with limited quality, though. You take companies like Exmark, Scag, Hustler, and others like that. They didn't gain their reputation and popularity by marketing and having the prettiest ads. They gained it by proven dependability.
    If you are getting ready to invest in a machine. Take into consideration that THAT is just what it is...an investment. You can go with what has been PROVEN to be quality and dependability, or you can take the chance and roll the dice on one of the in betweens that for SOME reason,... just haven't been seen in the field for that long of periods of time. Oh, we SEE them,....but then they're gone....usually replaced by one of the more familiar makes. Coincidence? What IS the cause and effect?

6. bantam

bantam LawnSite Member
    from iowa

The Country Clipper Charger mower will do a fine job. Especially when comparing it to the Sears mower you have been using!!! I would run it next to any of those mentioned by runner, all day, every day. Actually they are becoming a prescence in the industry, see more of them around all the time. Country Clipper has been in the industry for as long as Exmark. I would not consider that a "fly by night" outfit that is going to go away??? Must be some reason that they have survived?? I don't believe "sub-standard" would have been around that long.

7. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i have been using a 42''scotts for 5 yrs.just stepped up to a z-track 717a.i do lots of leafs here to. i can just blow them and burn in my biggest one,its a grave yard and has 4 big oak trees over 100 yrs old and if you dont stay on this one you will get covered up.because of size and mess i do charge more for it.

8. scottntues

scottntues LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your advice. I understand what you are all saying about durability and dependability. I see a lot of Exmarks on there and have seen the Country Clipper at a local store and after reading up pn it and learning about there pantented deck that pivits up for easy blade maintenance it seemed like a nice mower. I look forward to more advice and look farward to next season and getting bigger and better.
    Thanks to all of you
    Scott

9. Coolrthnu1

Coolrthnu1 LawnSite Member

we try and keep price the same by not trimming or edging cause grass not growing. time saved there helps make up for extra blowing & mulching. But if we have to then we charge for extra time

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, please keep in mind, that my word is NOT scripture. If you really have desire to go the way of the Country Clipper, and you feel it is right, then by all means, follow it. I was just speaking by my experience of people I know and have met that have ran these mowers. As I said before, there is ALWAYS going to be variables. Good luck with whatEVER you decide.