new business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by voglernut, Dec 6, 2002.

1. voglernut

voglernut LawnSite Member

next year will be my first year at this business full time. i worked with a friend this past summer for a few months. he uses all dixie choppers 60"with 25 hp kohler and swears by them. i have another friend that uses lazer z exmarks and swears by them. i like them both. give me some advice on these mowers. which one costs less for replacement parts. etc. thanks.

2. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

Kind of a Ford or Chevrolet question in my opinion. I would be more concerned with the question,

What dealer will I use and what does he reccomend and support the best.

Your dealer is actually usually the one that makes or breaks your opinion on a mower in my opinion.

Al B

3. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Both mowers are good. Have you considered a front mount deck? Good for getting under trees, fences, etc. You have a big Walker dealer there in Springfield. Walkers are worth checking out. I have 3. And like Alan Bechard said, a good dealer makes a big difference. Look around and test drive a few mowers before making a decision. I will tell you, walkers are totally different than the other 2 you talked about but once you get used to them, you will love them!

4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Demo all the mowers you are looking at, especially on all or most of the properties you will be working on.

I have a Dixie that will be gone, replaced by either an Exmark or Hustler.

Now I do agree good dealer support is a wonderful thing, but my best friend has no dealer's around him worth anything, and yet he always gets any parts or service. He went with Exmark because they not only make a great product, they stand behind it and have customer service from the factory down to the dealer. So with him, all he does is contact the rep or factory and they get him taking care of.

Customer service from the MFG down is the key here. With my Dixie, as most here know, I havent gotten ANY customer service from the MFG. All they want to do is pass the responsibility to the dealer or anyone else rather than handle this like they should.

I vote for Exmark or Hustler if you want the best machine and the best people that stand behind their products.

5. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

Go talk to bill's he will treat you right. I use three dixie choppers and if you look around town most everyone uses dixie choppers. Stay away from exmark at least around here. Crazygator did also suggest the hustler and I think it would be a good one to look at but I do not know about the service by that dealer. Also take a real good look at a bladerunner! Bladerunner will be my next purchase. Be sure about the dealer who you buy from. Mine really takes care of me usually fixes me on the trailer, and if he can't I get a loaner! Of course I pay my bills on time! This gives me great status in the loaner dept.

6. voglernut

releigh , i've talked to bill's. alex seems to be very knowledgable about the different brands of mowers. i talked to him about a dixie chopper. what engine do you use and which do you prefer. alex said the kaw are very good motors and have more torque. he always throws in a few good words for the bladerunner also. thanks for the reply.

7. Farmboy

Farmboy LawnSite Member

Volgernut

I also deal with alex he is a good man! He does not bad mouth his competitors and he is extremly knowledgeable about all the makes. I am going to buy a bladerunner diesel from him this spring. However I think the dixie is very good also, and he likes dixie chopper. I do know he is the oldest dealer in southwest mo. with dixie chopper and he seems to have a lot of experience with them. The other dixie dealers seem well kind of fake, not saying they are not telling the truth it is just like they don't know without reading out of the sales book.

8. voglernut

farmboy, thanks for the info. i hear people talking about the bladrunners. several are buying them. give me some info about them if you can. thanks.

9. Farmboy

Farmboy LawnSite Member

I had a 60" 25hp with a subaru engine on it. It was just awesome. The speed is unbelevable and really that is my complaint with the machine it is to fast. However the machine is simple effecient and cut is great. I have not really used a dixie or an exmark I have a gravely pm260 and it is a good mower but it is a slow machine and I have experienced electric clutch problems with it. The bladerunner is manual clutch and I think dixie is to! This is a advantage in my book especially after buying a couple electric clutches.

10. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Volgernut

I have used virtually every ztr on the market, all of them have there strong points. I actually have several choppers and have used them for the past 10 yrs or so. I bought a 72" diesel bladerunner last year and I bought another 72" diesel bladerunner this year I am very pleased with them and I personally feel they give you more for your money than chopper does. However I do feel like either machine will work very well for you, and you are dealing with class guy!