New Business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dmallen79, Apr 26, 2013.

1. dmallen79

dmallen79 LawnSite Member
    Male, from York, PA

hello all, just starting a part time lawn maintenance business and Im looking for some advice on how to bid jobs properly. I understand that there are alot of variables involved but was just wondering if I should be more concerned about an hourly rate or a rate per acre? Also when bidding mulching jobs should i bid per yard or hourly rate? Thanks for any suggestions that you guys or gals might give. By the way i have about 10+ years experience but not as an owner.

2. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey welcome to the site. Well bidding hourly can be deceptive. If you're using a 21'' mower you cannot mow as quickly as a 60", so your hourly wage would be skewed.

I would find what the market currently sustains. Find 2 or 3 other companies prices and then go from there.

Mulch install, I go off of an hourly charge.

Good luck this season!

3. dmallen79

dmallen79 LawnSite Member
    Male, from York, PA

thanks for the advice, i am using a hustler sport 48 with the kawi engine just for the record. was also wondering if anyone could recommend a good tire that has some meat to it so that i have some more traction on slopes. currently have the stock 18x8.5-8 on and they seem pretty slick. Any suggestions out there would be greatful.