New "C" serier from Cat

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dodgemania, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Dodgemania

Dodgemania LawnSite Member

I've heard a little bit of rumbling about a new "C" series coming from Cat in the next year of so. The guys in the service shop at Cat says it's coming in the near future but they don't have any details of exact time of arrival.
    I'm interested in the rubber track machines and was wondering if you guys have heard anything as far as improvements, or just general info?
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in the process of trying several makes of track machines. Have not heard anything about a new model. I would also be interested in any information...
  3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I promise I don't know any specifics, but what I do know is that Cat has been working very diligently to reduce some of the concerns contractors shared. From what I understand, they are taking great measures to incorporate some serious competitor-machine-user feedback.

Apart from that, I don't know anything. As my contacts are surely overwhelmed by the ridiculous number of questions I ask anyhow, and as I won't be allowed to divulge such information in the fall, that's all I can give until December. But someone will hear something down the line... if it happens to be me, I'll speak up if allowed.
  4. iowacatman

iowacatman LawnSite Member

I know nothing,

but will inquire and pass on what I learn.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

My sales rep told me that they are in the works. Of the features, they offer a genration 2 track series, which has more of Caterpillars ideas integrated into the ASV tracking system. Thus, the beginning of the end for ASV as i look back at anytime Cat has done something similar. No specifics, but by 2007, just about the time my first 257B is ready to flip, they will be out....
  6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

At what point do you consider it time to get rid of your skid?

Well, we could certainly keep them longer than the plan we set up. But, the 257B's are on 3 year plans. Two reasons for that. First, we are taking all depreciation over those 3 years. 2nd, in 3 years, the profit from each machine will be at a premium, and the resale will be at a high. After 4 years, resale drops just a tad, and by the 5th year, just a tad more. So, we run them for 3 years, and as soon as they are paid in full, we will take a $30,000 trade value on a new $50,000 machine. So, a 20K loan rather than a 50K loan. At the end of the 3 year period on those machines, we will trade at $30K, while at the same time we were making payments to Cat, we were putting $20K worth or equipment payments in an interest bearing account we use for equipment purchases. So, when the second machine has completed it's tenure at our company, we can either take out a full 50K loan for a new one, and invest the monye we saved for other things,, or we can write a check for the new machine and have no payments, while the whole time we run that machine, we pay ourselves for the entire monthly cost.

It would be very easy to keep a machine for 10 years, but it does not pencil out.
  8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Wow sounds like you have put some serious thought into the whole process. I am looking for a used bobcat/cat track loader and it seems they are pretty much unafordable for me unless they have 1000 hours. Woud you be wary of such a machine?

1000 hours is not much in the sense that a typical loader with an operator runs 2000 hours in one year. But, with the compact machines people tend to try larger jobs that a larger machine should have been best suited for. So, it depends on the service records. If someone beat the snot out of the machine, day in day out, did not change oil, little to no grease, you might be getting into a can of worms you don't necessarily want. But, if the machine was cared for, and, you are just starting, and use it on a limited basis until you get enough work to justify a new one, theoretically, you could run a Bobcat for 4000 hours with little maintenance. Sure, you are going to break things a new one would most likely not, but if you are not so dependant on billable hours, and non billable hours (like with a side job) you could probably make a decent buck with it. I'm completley sold on making payments on new machines and producing more rather than paid for machnes that will go down and loose time.
  10. catjd

catjd LawnSite Member

I work at the Cat plant where the skid steers are built. We are currently redoing our floor to start building the c series. From what I have seen , they are awesome machines, with features I have never seen on any skid steer. I am glad you guys love the machines so much, job security for me. :)