New C Series Cat MTL

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Boddie, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Boddie

Boddie LawnSite Member

Has anybody bought the new c series mtl? ifso, how's it compared to the 257b series?

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

The C series isn't availible in the smaller sizes yet, give them time.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

257BII is out right now, the 257 hasn't been upgraded to the C series yet.

4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

If it weren't for a the alphabetical lettering of the yearly series, we'd all be lost.

5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Yep...got a 297C...traded in a 257B...POS....I guess the new series II are supposed to be better....:dizzy:

6. Boddie

Boddie LawnSite Member

why did you get the 297 opposed to the other options? What's your primary use? The reason why i asked is because I'm in the market, but I don't want to spend money twice. I mostly do landscaping, grading, lot clearing ect.... The cat rep told me all I need is the 257 but I don't want to out grow it. What do you think?

7. qps

from Indy

for just landscaping the 257B did everything I wanted it to. I would get the series II..not the older 257B...I wanted out of my 257 and wanted more power....so I got it..but this thing is huge...:weightlifter:

8. Boddie

Boddie LawnSite Member

do you think that the 287c is too big for landscaping?

9. qps

from Indy

its also a large frame machine.....so its the same size as mine...a 257 is the largest small frame available...I think...the 257 did everything I ask of it...most of the time....I just had issues with it....so its history....

10. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

personally yes...but it depends what you use it for. If you do a lot of loader work then no. But you also have to remember that it weighs almost 10,000lbs. What are you going to haul it with? The width is only 6.5feet so a standard equipment trailer will haul it, you will need at least a 12k trailer if not a 14k. But once you get to the 12k trailer range you need a CDL since you will be hauling it commercial...we do excavating and though a lot of the work we do is with a backhoe our TL130 is almost perfect...a TL140 would be slightly better, but we certainly wouldn't have any more use for a large machine like that then we do for a small machine