New camera

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by sprinkler guy, Apr 1, 2008.

1. sprinkler guy

sprinkler guy LawnSite Member

Yesterday I purchased a Canon Rebel XT on sale at Best Buy. The camera came with an accessory package as part of the sale. It included a really nice Canon bag, uv filter, and spare battery. I picked up a 4 gig card from Costco. All totaled, I was out the door for just under $575.00. The girl who sold me the camera said it should come up as discontinued in the next few weeks, so an even better deal may rear its head soon. This model was only introduced last year, but like any electronic gizmo, it's outdated by the time it hits the shelves. Now I just need to crack the book and figure out how to use it.

2. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Great camera Sean. Now pick up a heavy, quality Tripod and a remote trigger release. You can find excellent, quality "knock off" tripods at www.amvona.com or on ebay for the same line at much lower prices. I paid about $70 on ebay for an Amvona knock off of a $500 manfrotto tripod.

The trigger release is available from Canon.

Have fun!

4. kristink

kristink LawnSite Member

I gotta compliment you on the picture! The new camera does an awesome job!
    To create a fun backyard atmosphere with solar outdoor lighting visit Backyard Euphoria.

5. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

6. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

Camera knockoffs are OK? It's just the lighting knockoffs that get your goat then? Oh nevermind I just remembered you knocked off Cast and others with that lame tree light so what am I saying here?

7. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Kristin, welcome to the forum. I have to say though, Mike is right. :laugh:
    I have never seen a Solar landscape lighting fixture that I would give to Pete Scalia, let alone install in a landscape lighting system

As for the dumb comment posted about using a knock-off tripod. There is a big difference between personal consumption & use and professional sales and installation.

If I were selling camera tripods, I would carry Manfrotto.

For my personal use, well I thought it might be worth trying out the Amvona unit for about 85% less then the name brand. In this case, for my purposes, the Amvona tripod & monopod I have work out just fine.

8. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

What a walking , eating , breathing, contradiction out of touch with reality and a warped sense of perception.

9. sprinkler guy

sprinkler guy LawnSite Member

Thanks James, but my neighbor, who is a real photography nut set me up with a nice tripod. He has a handful that he doesn't use anymore, so he let me have one. I was showing him the camera and saying what a great deal I thought I got and he just chuckled. I asked about the camera he uses the most and he brought out a Swedish unit from a company called Hasselblad. I googled them to get some more info. Turns out they make some of the best cameras in the world. The camera he showed me and the two lenses were over $40K. Anyway, he said he'll help me learn a few tricks about taking night shots over the weekend.

10. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

The whole weekend? Here's a tip: practice the cam in daylight, so when it gets dark you know where all the buttons are. That sounds silly, but it's extremely true with any new camera, regardless of your experience.

Here's a funny story: I set up some stuff for an "organic landscaping" postcard shot, and asked my 19-year-old to take some pictures with me in it it. She comes outside and says where's the camera? I said it's on the tripod, just take the picture. She says, "What's a tripod?"

What's a tripod?? Where did I go wrong???

By the way, the following pic is a good example of when to change the aperture using a slower shutter speed, to increase depth of field. My logo is out of focus.

cocoa425.jpg