New Case 440 VS ASV SR 70

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by TNdigger, Apr 15, 2008.

1. TNdigger

TNdigger LawnSite Member

My only concern is that I am giving up duribilty (case) for Speed with the ASV
    What is you guys thoughts duribility and life span of the these two very different Undercarriages. Increased Ground speed of the ASV does not impress me but the light footprint does. Thanks for replies.

2. hansondirtman

hansondirtman LawnSite Member

The SR-70 is slow by ASV standards, my SR-80 does 12 mph, and I have had not a lick of trouble in 2 years, the SR's have all face seals on the wheels. The 70 is like a big/long version of bobcat Rons 247 u/c, except for different drive motor. I would look at the machines in general and not be too concerned on u/c life.

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Seems kinda odd to compare these two machines unless you were comparing the 440 CT or a VTS equipped 440 to an ASV.

4. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. The 440CT is about 1,000 lbs heavier and has over 10hp more than the SR70. The SR80 is much closer to the 440CT in terms of ROC @ 50% (3100lbs compared to 3000lbs) and the engine hp is closer. The SR70 falls somewhere in between the 420 and the 440.

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Totally apples to oranges comparisons, even I didn't do that on my Bobcat/Cat demo, only the machines themselves were compared.

If I had to make the choice, Case would be the winner with the obvious reasons, ASV's skids are kinda weak and the servicing is hard to do on some models.

6. Digdeep

Bobcat_ron I would agree with you regarding servicing on some of the older models but the SR70 and SR80 pretty easy to service from what I've seen. The cab tilts up with only two bolts. The hydraulic filters ( 3 of them-case drain, high flow, low flow) are right there as are the pressure ports for troubleshooting if needed. Filler caps for both Fuel and Hyd oil are easily accessible, etc.

7. TNdigger

TNdigger LawnSite Member

To answer questions it is the 440 CT tier III. The reason I am comparing these models is based off price and availability. The SR-70 has made significant changes to their design for serviceability. Neither machine is as easy to service as other makes but for the reasons I've already mentioned these are the comparables.

8. Digdeep

I think that the new Case Series 3 machines use Tier III engines but possibly not on all models.

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

They are all Tier III. I was told the Series 3 machines have improved serviceablilty but I have not looked at one from that aspect so I don't know what that means exactly.