New Cat 257D any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ClassicLawnCareInc, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that the 257D would work just fine for the applications you describe, particularly if you're the owner/operator. The undercarriage is simple to work on and all the seals are the same metal face seals used in CTL, min-ex's and larger tracked equipment. The rear idlers are steel and the mid rollers rarely see any damage since there is no track wrapped around them.

Also, the stock tracks on the 259 perform very poorly in snow, and you'd have to purchase another se to tracks besides the stock ones in order to push snow effectively. This would add at least another $2k to the already $3k premium that the 259 already has over the 257. I don't own a CAT machine but I do own an ASV RC50 with an almost identical undercarriage although it is much lighter. I have been very happy with the performance. Good luck with your decision.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ClassicLawnCareInc

ClassicLawnCareInc LawnSite Senior Member

K yup that makes sense
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The more rock you are in the less favorable the MTL becomes, especially fractured rock.

I read that the Winter CTL tracks work much better than the standard track in snow. I have never run the Winter CTL tracks personal. The MTL tracks don't have steel cables in them (they have Kevlar), they grip snow much better, and are much more pliable in extreme cold. I really doubt that a CTL track, even a Winter type track can match the Camoplast track. I mean its basically a snowmobile track made for a compact loader. I have used my CTL to push snow (regular dirt style track) and it works fine as long as you get the snow off down to the pavement. Once the snow is packed like ice, it doesn't work so well.

4. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you can plow with it. We don't get much around here. They make better tracks
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ClassicLawnCareInc

I'm now leaning torwards the Ctl. It seems like they are more heavy duty. With my guys using it as well as me I'm thinking the Ctl will hold up better.

What are other brand skid steers? The bobcat kubota John Deere ect are they all Ctl?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Only other mtl are asv and terex I believe. May be wrong. There are definitely cheaper options than a cat but still good machines if you are looking at other brands.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ClassicLawnCareInc

Hmmm now everyone has me thinking lol Im thinking I want the Ctl now as I want the machine that's going to last the longest, especially where I don't use it that much, but when I do need it I want it to work everytime. I cnt afford break n downtime

8. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

The small Kubota is proving to be a nice machine for the price . Let us know what price they give you on the 259 d .

9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

The undercarriage on our 277C only lasted 2 years with mild abuse, now we have a 289C2 and we abuse the hell out of the tracks and no issues. Just look at my latest video, proof right there.
    No way in hell would I EVER go back to a MTL. The ride quality is the same as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Friend just had a demo on a new one. 60k out the door from gateway
    Posted via Mobile Device