1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New Cat 257D any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ClassicLawnCareInc, Nov 21, 2013.

1. ClassicLawnCareInc

ClassicLawnCareInc LawnSite Senior Member

Dig deep that's my main problem neither is in stock the Deere wound be a dealer transfer as my local Deere chain if 13 stores is sold out and my cat dealer is sold out but has 2 on rider but it may be a few weeks . So I can't put my hands on either. If I could id be driving both this week
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ClassicLawnCareInc

The car dealer has 2 on order *
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd line up a demo ahead of time. I used to do this with my Bobcat customers that I could do a sort of road show once the product came in.

Nico963's photo is a perfect example of CATs great visibility down to the tires or tracks.

4. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it just me or do the d series loader arms look considerably smaller than the c?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ClassicLawnCareInc

They do look thinner
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. swanny

swanny LawnSite Senior Member

Deceiving...might look smaller from the outside, but could be very thick walled inside.

7. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

The arms are wider but not as deep. It really increases visibility over the c series machines

8. bobcatexc

bobcatexc LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Everybody wants to dis on JD's, so I'll throw my two cents in. I personally own a Takeuchi and have had a couples bobcats and have run many color skids in the past 20yrs. I've put several hundred hours on a newer JD 333D and a Cat 299D(old style arms). The Deere will walk all over that 299 in pushing, lifting, visibility, everything. Visibility is terrible out the back and sides, the Cat is IMO the worst skid steer I've ran. Yes JD is a pain with the side panels, but all your daily checks are right there in the back other than that raise the arms and pull the panels to easily get to everything else. You need to demo both brands before dropping 45K on a machine. If I was looking for a new machine I'd look at JD, Bobcat or Takeuchi.

9. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely worth demoing both machines if possible to see for yourself. Everyone has different opinions. I've run most brands and I wouldn't be caught dead in a JD..D or E series.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask cat for a machine until the ordered machine comes in. What are you doing with the machine you have now. Just drove by your shop.
    Posted via Mobile Device