New Cat Excavators

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by raschmid07, Feb 9, 2010.

1. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

:nono: I love to throw rocks every chance I get at Cat but I don't think you can call them the best - or worst.

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

We have 2 6000 hour 320C's, and 1 has a dancing boom issue on the main pin.
    Don't trash Cat unles you got some serious proof, we have NEVER had issues with our Cat's, all 3 320's and an older 330B that my brother bought USED with 6000 hours already hammered in to it.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You can argue against Cat from a production standpoint, I understand some guys just don't believe they can produce as well as others. However, from a reliability, resale, and longevity standpoint, Cat is practically impossible to beat.

4. alco

alco LawnSite Senior Member

I regularly run a Hitachi 450 with over 45,000 hours on it, and it still goes like a top. Structurally, yes Cat is strong, but after the hours start to mount up, they get very jerky and down right hard to do any fine work with. They are built heavier, but they are slower, burn more fuel, and the lack of fine control as they age is a major issue for anybody I have ever talked to. Even the Cat dealer mechanics here admit the hoes are junk. Just because it says Cat on it doesn't make it a good machine. I never said they are the worst out there, but I sure wouldn't buy one. I could go on and on, but I know the folks who live and breath Cat will just continue to argue because it's Cat.

Anything under 10,000 hours is practically brand new.

5. Blue Goose

Blue Goose LawnSite Senior Member

How old is that 450 with 45,000 hrs.?

6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Thank God for Volvo.

7. alco

Don't know for sure, but I woud guess 8 to 10 years.

8. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

45,000 hours on a 10 year old machine? That is like 12 hours a day seven days a week for 10 year straight????????

9. alco

Yep, we work our iron here.

10. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't see it...u gotta be a twitter member to see it?