New Cat Excavators

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by raschmid07, Feb 9, 2010.

1. alco

alco LawnSite Senior Member

LOL, yeah, sorry, not trying to come across as a prick....but more than likely succeeding anyhow.

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

It's all good man, all for the sake of argument. I don't mind going back and forth with someone as long as it stays civil, you're doing alright. :waving:

3. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

No, I'm on twitter and can see it. I saw it when I wasn't logged in earlier too. Anybody have pics of the new scheme?

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Alco that Cat excavators are not the best.

One of the forestry contractors here uses nothing but Hitachi excavators and been doing so for many years. The excavators are digging in blast rock building logging road every year the machines are building 20-30 kilometers of road. Working in conditions where buckets need a rebuild every 6 months bucket teeth last a month. There are a few old EX400s kicking around that have seen nothing but bush road building with 20,000 hours on them.

Komatsu is next in line for a common machine to be used.

You want a tough bush machine you buy a Hitachi very reliable good on fuel and run forever. Digging blasted rock beats the crap out of the machine. When the buckets get thin you see the bottom torn out or the top part of the bucket that the quick connect lugging is welded to is twisted off.

Volvo is getting a foot in the door in the forestry road building machines.

5. jefftb

jefftb LawnSite Senior Member

For those of you that cannot see it, that's because you need to hover your mouse pointer over the small engine pic on CAT.com where it says TIER 4 event and Twitter, wait and in pops a picture of the machine just above that to the right.

You're not going to see pictures of machines at Twitter.

Also that is an "E" series designated machine in the picture.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  6. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I see. Hopefully some or all of these have been addressed with the E-series (the picture on the Cat homepage is of a 336E), but frankly I have no idea. I ran a new demo 315C and a 308D and both were good, but they were spankin' new.

For fuel consumption... I maintain that for the amount of material moved, some of the newest excavators (we're talking D-series) can keep up somewhat well with the competition. While some brands may burn less fuel in total, I think that Cats burn some of the lowest per material moved. That being said, I'm sure all the brands have their own tests, which means what I'm saying is just based on my own observations (isn't it always? :) ).

7. Ozz

The new scheme,courtesy of RowanH on DHS:

[​IMG]

I agree, it is wierd. The extra crap from emmsions (catalytic converters etc) is what I think all the fateness on the house is. I'd hate to see the rear visibility on the the E-Series if this is what they turn out to be.

8. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

What about even more electronics? Object avoidance, rear cameras? :drinkup:

:laugh: I think the rear visibility is going to take a beating, too. Pity.

9. Ozz

Haha. What about when your camera's CCD/CMOS fails when you go Dirtman style in a pond?:D

Komatsu already has a backup camera. Even more electronics equals less reliability. It would also let operators get used to and rely on the electronics, get put on an old school machine w/o all the elctronics and then have no idea what they're doing?

10. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

haha, what's so different about those colors? At leat they didn't go crazy like Deere... :(