New CAT ferris

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by whiteclifflawn, Apr 28, 2005.

1. whiteclifflawn

whiteclifflawn LawnSite Member

what in the crap would you need a 31hp cat diesel on a lawn mower for? It just seems like killing a mouse with a .50 machine gun. might just not get it, you guys tell me.

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

More powerrrrrr(tim the toolman voice) Maybe for mowing real big areas it would be nice. I would imagine thats a heavy machine.

3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

bad boy has a cat diesel too.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If you have to ask why you need it, you don't need it.

For others, 31hp isn't enough!

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Before you knock it, why don't you demo one. That may help you to find your answer...

6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I have demoed the cat it is a tank you could mow over small children and not even know it. That would be nice to have but you need some wide open areas to use it.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I demoed one of the original prototype Ferris IS5000's with the 31.5 Cat engine years ago for them. That thing runs like a raped ape IMO. Yes it is heavy...just under 2000 pounds.

8. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

Some applications require more horsepower. I have sold several Hustler Super Z diesels with a 34hp cat for interstate mowing. Sold several more for LCO's that mow some of the industrial plants along the Miss. river. I have run this machine through some of the toughest stuff I could find, and it did not even bog the engine or deck down. I could only say one thing when I got off the machine, WOW!!!!!!!!!!

9. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Dixie chopper makes one with a 50hp yanmar diesel. I saw a guy mow down a hay field of about 4 feet high, thick, damp, and average speed probably 10mph. That is a lot of power. I have felt my 32 hp bog down at times so the more power the better IMO.

10. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

he probally hasn't ever even had the need for a mower over 31 in.

I wish i could afford a cat diesel in my ferris. Hell i wish i had a nuclear sub power plant in it. Then i'll show that 5.5 acer lawn i have who is boss.