New Chain Saw Opinions?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Talon1189, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Talon1189

Talon1189 LawnSite Member

I am looking for a "NEW" medium duty chainsaw that is known reliable :) I was considering a Stihl MS 290.....MS 310......or ......Shindaiwa 377, 488 or What else? I am a newbie and used the search features of this site and have not found the answer :dizzy: I want reliablity + quality :cool2: All opinions are appreciated by me :) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon
  2. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

I'm enjoying the 2 Husqvarna saws that I have. I don't use them every day but when I do I've never had any problems. No problems with the Husqvarna brush cutter or push mower I have either.
  3. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I enjoy my stihl 029.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We run a shindiawa 575 no vibration, plenty of power,starts the second pull every time.
  5. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

Go to

Just like everyone on this site lives on mowers, everyone at that site lives with their chainsaws. You'll find everything you want to know.
  6. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

Quote (medium duty) chainsaw that is known reliable.

well stihl, husq, shindiawa would be in the Top Of the Line catagory.

I think for the price a Poulan Pro series might be what your looking for.
    they have better features and durability than what you will find at Wally World.

Mike AKA Partsangel
  7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

You might try the Shindaiwa 352s, or wait on the 446 (which will have the easy start recoil like the 352s and the 285s).
  8. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the stihl 260, it seems to be a good one, I havent used it a whole lot yet, but I like it...
  9. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

The Stihl 260 is the same as the older series 026. I have an 026 and an 036, both with 20" bars on them. The 026 is the best overall saw in my opinion. It is a great combination of weight and power. The 036 is a little hard on the back at the end of the day. Both are awesome saws that have never given me a scrap of trouble in 12 years.

My vote goes with the Stihl brand and the Stihl 260 in particular.

10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Shindy 488 here. Been through hell and back. Starts, runs, cuts great! Can't go wrong.