Lawn Care Forum banner

NEW Chainsaw Won't Run

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  themadcutter 
#1 ·
I was given a craftsman 18" chainsaw for christmas by my parents. I've used it for about 30 minutes before today and everything was going fine. 15 minutes in the chain pops off so i shut it off and re-tighten it. Start it back up, and then about 10 seconds later is stalls out. I checked the gas and noticed it was kind of low so I put more in. Start it back up and then about 5 seconds later it stalls out again. I repeated this proces about 5 more times, gave it 20 mins to cool down and then started it back up. It ran for about a minute before it stalled out yet again.

What do you think could be the problem?

#2 ·
What do you think could be the problem?
It sounds like you have a fuel problem. It could be alot of things, My best advise would be take it back to Sears and let them worry about it. You don't need to be throwing money at it trying to chase down a problem that their mechanics might be aware of.

Reactions: ericg
#3 ·
These are big box store saws and in all honesty can be a huge pain. The carbs are very tricky to get right, many issue's. Years back craftsman wasn't all that bad a saw but in todays quantity(NOT quility)world it's better to walk away from these. Wether you buy a craftsman poulan small husky etc... from a box store they're all made by the same company electrolux(sp). You can try returning it and sooner or later you may get a decent one, if your lucky. If it were me I'd try and get a refund and go to a reputable dealer and get something that would last for years, stihl, husqvarna, echo, dalmer ??????????? You'd be surprised, they do have home owner saws that can be reasonably priced especially when you figure you won't have to pull out a tool bag every time you want to use it.

#4 ·
dalmer ???????????
Dolmar, use to be sachs-dolmar in the 70's and 80's. Started in 1927 and actually was first company to come out with a gas powered portable chain saw which was a hefty 8hp, 2 years before shtil and husqvarna started building saws in 1959 and was required by Electrolux in 1979. Dolmar does have some super cheap saws, but they are build really well. They are made to compete with box store saws.

#5 ·
Carb needs cleaned, i see tons of new equipment like that, even new $11000to mowers...
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
Dolmar, use to be sachs-dolmar in the 70's and 80's. Started in 1927 and actually was first company to come out with a gas powered portable chain saw which was a hefty 8hp, 2 years before shtil and husqvarna started building saws in 1959 and was required by Electrolux in 1979. Dolmar does have some super cheap saws, but they are build really well. They are made to compete with box store saws.
oops thanks for the spell check :drinkup: Looks like your a fan of the dolmar saws :cool2:. Stihl also has some lower priced home owner saws that are way better then the box store saws. Husqvarna(smaller saws) are questionable, maybe if it came from the dealer they'd stand behind it(??). I'm not kncocking or tryng to say which brand name is better, that's like comparing ford to chevy, just saying the box store saws are questionable.

#8 ·
oops thanks for the spell check :drinkup: Looks like your a fan of the dolmar saws :cool2:. Stihl also has some lower priced home owner saws that are way better then the box store saws. Husqvarna(smaller saws) are questionable, maybe if it came from the dealer they'd stand behind it(??). I'm not kncocking or tryng to say which brand name is better, that's like comparing ford to chevy, just saying the box store saws are questionable.
Ya I like dolmar. Sipple solid equipment that always starts 1st or second pull and haven't has a mechanical issue in the 3 years I've owned them so I can't complain.
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
try running it with the choke on or partially on if you can. if it stays running that way then it is a good indication of a fuel line leak. If it will run for a few minutes after it cools down then it sounds like a coil.
if it will start up and seems like it is reving rather fast then it could be that it has bad seals.

If you just got it at christmas and you have a gift receipt then return it for cash and get something more reliable like an ms250 (thats the stihl comparable size to what you have)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.