new chainsaw

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by looonman, Oct 13, 2007.

1. looonman

looonman LawnSite Member

Hi all
    I need to replace a chainsaw I have a 10 year old Mac that has worked well but it has many problems and is not worth spending the money to fix.
    Any suggestions for a good homeowner grade saw? I heat with wood and live in a rural area so I use it quite a bit.
  2. ballstar

ballstar Banned

find a stihl that you like.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

One word,

STIHL !!!
  4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Sthil MS 250C is what I use . 16" cut with tension adjustment for the chain finger and thumb operated. It's just under the commercial grade and for homeowner woodcutting is just fine.

Oh by the way I have had 2-Mc Cullough saws. Mini Mac 6 and Mac 10-10. If you like to spend most of the morning trying to get one of these started -- well get another Mac. hah

5. looonman

looonman LawnSite Member

Three for three say stihl.
    well Stihl it is I am looking for one now.
  6. Popey

Popey LawnSite Member

I have an MS250 also. I like it but I don't cut as much as I used to but if I bought again and was still using firewood I would spend the extra $$$ for an MS260 there is a difference in the two saws.
    Just my .02

(I also owned a Mac 6 and a Mac 10-10)
  7. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

make that 4 4 4. i have a 310, my brother has a 10 year old 25. that saw went to the shop two weeks ago for the first time, ever. it has had the dog crap run out of it, and suddenly it didn't want to stay running and then became very hard to start. it will have a new carb next week. our cousin loaned us a husq 55 (my brother's other saw, a 55 also, with an odd spec bar, was out while oregon sent the new bar). we have been cutting oak every weekend for the last 5 weeks. i grabbed that 55 once, while my saw was on the other side of the ridge, to limb a downed tree. when i finished that tree, i put the 55 down have not picked it up again.
    my brother says, and he means it, that he will sell it and never own another husq. he wants a 390. same weight as the 310 with more power. it is not a commercial saw, but i don't know why anyone other than a full-time sawyer would need anything else.
    what are you going to cut? how often? how large? how is you conditioning? the power of a large saw is nice, but it does get heavy after a day of stumbling around through downed trees.
  8. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

1st Stihl, 2nd Echo. Stihl is known for their saws.
  9. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Husky 353....own three of them....Great saws!!!.... probably just personal pref. My brother and father both rather the Stihl. I just like the feel of the Husky better.
  10. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl all the way for me!