New Chariot LX

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Phishook, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Has any one actually seen one of these?
    Just saw the add in Turf. Different frame, plastic discharge deflector;) , took away the foot deck lift:( , 7 Gauge mower deck:confused: , and up to 72" deck now.

Why would they do away with the foot lift? If they should have made ant changes, they should have put more air flow in the deck and added a mulching kit and a vac. option.

I do like the plastic discharge deflector.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't seen one yet. But I was by my Great Dane dealer in January to ask what was new for 2003. They guy told me he had been out and seen them and said "quote".....

"They have made some changes. But personally I don't like what they've done with the machines for this year. I would have been better left alone."

I didn't go into any further detail about it past that. So it's hard to say. Might be bad changes, might be good. I'll keep an eye out for one and let you know though.....

3. Lawn Works 1

Lawn Works 1 LawnSite Member

You might not like what they have done with the Chariot but if your into the standups take a look at the new Super Surfer. They changed the wheel base and changed the way that you raise and lower the deck to a lever instead of spacers. Now they just need to go to the same thing on the scamper and get rid of those annoying spacers.

4. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I saw one this past week at the dealer. I was talking with the guy that assembles them. What are you wanting to know?

5. Daneman

Daneman LawnSite Member

Phishook, They took away the foot lift, but redesigned the lift system to make it very easy. I have seen both women and men lift the 72" deck with ease. As far as the air flow, demo one, you will be amazed at the increased air flow! This thing blows the grass, leaves awesome! 7 guage mower deck is much better than 10 guage with reinforced skirting, better when you hit something. There are quite a few aftermarket cathcing systems, trac vac, protero, peco, bluebird. Protero is the only one with a spindle driven vac I think. The frame is stronger, and now offer a small frame Z rider with a 61" deck. Center control handles still standard, but now offer fold over handles as an option too!

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I for one wish these companies would update their web-sites before the product reaches the showroom! Great Dane certainly isn't the only one guilty of this! I guess they don't think LCO's know about the internet or something!

:confused:

7. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

The foot lift did more than make it easier to lift the deck. I used it to lift the deck to prevent scalping on hills, go over tree roots, and to lift it that extra 1" when trailering.
    The changes to the frame are understandable, it's probably cheaper for them to make it this way. My only complaint about that is now you can't remove the caster arms like you could before. Not a big deal, but it was easy to change the bearings on a workbench. Now if they go bad you'll have to do it on the floor.
    It just seems like they are going in the opposite direction and defiantly not listening to us consumers.

8. Daneman

Daneman LawnSite Member

Hi Phishook, You are right about lifting the deck to prevent scalping, but you still can do it with the handle, not a very big deal. As far as the caster arms, the only reason they went to the solid piece was there were no failures on the front caster wheels, but I don't think they knew of guys pulling those off to service them. I really do think they are listening to consumers, but also has to be cost effective to make the machine. The machine is awesome, I really don't think you would have any regrets if you purchased one. Another great thing about the deck, along with the improved air flow, is that there is another 7 guage skirting on the inside front lip of the deck, just to even increase the riggidity of the unit. So it's a complete 7 guage fabricated deck, with even more support! I was told the new literature would be coming sometime next month, they will probably update the website then!