1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Chevrolet Truck Diesel versus gas

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, it's getting about time to buy a new truck or fix up the old one. I have had new gas and diesel trucks in the past. I now own a 99 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel. The paint is falling off of it and it has been babied most its life. I have priced a complete new paint job including the replacement of some trim pieces for $4,000.00.. Problem is it has 150,000 miles on it and even though motor wise it's got a bunch of life left I feel everything else is getting wore out mechanically. I looked at new Chevy 3/4 tons over the weekend both gas and Diesel. The Diesel motor is little over $7,000.00 dollar option and must come with a automatic transmission now according to Chevy. The gas is of course that much cheaper and can get a manual. I am kicking keeping the old Dodge around to pull the skid steer and get a new gas 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton. I have always loved Diesels but anymore I dont feel there is much advantage because of the following. What do you guys think? Im only looking at Chevy because of the family employee discount which takes about $5,000.00 off a Diesel. Not sure I can go through Diesel withdraws. Im addicted to smoke :))))

Diesel cost (now) more than diesel
    the better fuel increse is not real big
    cost $over $7,000.00 more for diesel option
    more expensive maintenance
    heavier on the front which helps increase front end wear rate on steering
    much higher payments
    getting harder to make them blow smoke like they use too
    too much emission crap
    dont sound like a diesel anymore hardly

I love the smoke and the sound of the old diesels, cant think of any advantage to the new ones. I don't see any power increase that a gas can not be made to get for normal operation
  2. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

You said the GM employee discount would be $5000 off a diesel. How much off a gas truck? If it's zero, then your decision just got easier - it's only a $2000 difference. If it's a little less, then it's a little more complicated.
    If you keep the old Dodge for a heavy hauler, could you live with a 2WD half-ton Chevy for the rest of the week? You'd get 18-20 MPG highway. If you do go for the diesel, look for an engine that was built in 2006 (even in a 2007 truck). The 2007 is really loaded with emissions. Good luck with your choice.
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have had 3 Dodge diesels, and really liked all of them. This time I went with a GMC 2500HD gas, and I love it. Diesel just did not make sense anymore, as the upfront cost is very high, and diesel fuel is a lot more expensive than gas. I got the 6.0 liter with auto. trans. I pull a 25" gooseneck that ususally grosses about 10,000lbs. I don't miss the diesel at all. This 6.0 is a workhorse, and the fuel mileage on the highway, with a load ,is within 2mpg of the old diesels.
  4. Fieldman12

I did not price the employee discount on the gas models but I would say around $4,000.00. The thing is though they have allot better rebates on the gas motors.
    Silverardo 2500 $4,500 or 4.9% financing 60 month - gas
    Silverado 2500 $2,500 or 4.9% financing 60 month - LBZ Diesel

Silverado Classic 2500 $2,250 or 3.9% financing- gas
    Silverdo Classic 2500 $ 1,250 or 3.9% financing -diesel

As for the 2wd question. I probably better stay with the 4wd since better resale and where I live it gets bad in the winter.
  5. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go diesel, but that's just me. I do agree the new emissions crap sucks right now. It sounds like a case where you don't need a diesel since you're keeping the Dodge to pull. Cummins engines will outlast the truck they're sitting in almost every time. I'm sure a gas would be all you need, it just comes down to whether you want to spend the extra money.

I disagree with the power and fuel economy though. If you were pulling, or even just driving around, you're not going to get the power of a Duramax, along with the MPG, in a 6.0L. You'll get good power in the 8.1, but you'll pay big time in fuel. If you end up getting the Duramax, I'd try to find an '06LBZ. Very nice engines.:weightlifter:
  6. Fieldman12

I know the Diesel gets a little better mileage but Im saying based on the price of fuel, cost up front, maintenance cost, and so on I dont think it comes close to making up for it. Yes I agree in some applications a diesel may have more low end or high end torque depending on the motor but Im saying you can get just as much power by adding a box or something to a gas engine and have way less money in it.
  7. Fieldman12

I have tried to find a new 06 but none out there
  8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

You can find 07 classics out there with the LBZ. I think that would be my first choice. You wont get get the new body style but I never had any real issues with the 03-07 bodies. I am a big diesel guy but the advantages are shrinking. I still pull heavy and so will probably always have one, but for just doing bids or driving around it will have to be a gas.
  9. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i'm not real happy with the newer diesels w/ all the pollution stuff on them. if i were in your shoes i would seriously look at refurbishing the truck you have. i'm sure it has been a great truck and by now you know exactly what would make it better. price out those improvements then decide if its worth it for a new truck. i have an old ford idi diesel. it isn't worth much to anyone else but it just keeps on running. i have more repairs on it but the repairs are much cheaper than a truck payment. the repairs i have had the last year are small time. batteries, starter, fuel lines. combined i haven't spent $1000.00 on repairs this last year. that works for me. i try to make sure it gets any possible maintenance taken care of when things are slower and so far it has worked. never a breakdown when needed.
    good luck with your decision,
  10. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

This topic gets rehashed daily it seems. Long story short, from my experience and number crunching, the numbers on a diesel just don't add up on this size truck. Less discounts, diesel costs significantly more than reg gas,(about .25 more p'gallon right now), mileage is NOT much better at all, and to the guys who tell you it is, get proof, I've had a few and a couple friends run diesels, the mileage isn't what most people seem to think it is, maintenance costs higher(lots more oil p/change, fuel filters usually have to be changed more often and are quite costly), usually have to treat the fuel around here in the winter, that stuff runs about $7-$8 p'bottle, the diesel will probable last a bit longer but in all reality, how often do the gas engines blow up nowadays??? Usually, (well up here were roads are heavily salted) the first thing to go is the body. I figure its cheaper to take the extra money saved from buying diesels and trade earlier while theirs still something left to the rest of the truck. Anyhow, yeah their nice but take the time to crunch the numbers before you lay down the money.