Lawn Care Forum banner

New Chevy or GMC 2500 or 3500?

4K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Barkleymut 
#1 ·
I am going to buy a new 2002 or 2003 Chevy or GMC this winter. My question is what is the difference between the 2500 and 3500 as far as transmission, clutch, and brakes? I currently have a Dodge 1500 and it does fine with the weight I put in it but the brakes are underpowered. I also will not do any plowing so I am getting a 2wd. As for all you ford guys....I would probably buy a Ford instead of Chevy but my father in law has $4000 in GM points that he is giving me. So unless you are going to give me $4000 please don't say "Buy a Ford". Thanks for any advice on the tranny, clutch and brakes.

#4 ·
When I went looking for my new truck I had the same question. I didn't want the dually but wanted a one ton truck. The dealer told me that the 2500 HD in the GM trucks is essentially the single rear wheel 3500 and that a 3500 is only made in a dually now. I didn't research it any more because I decided that the trucks were just too ugly to drop that much jack on!! That isn't to say that the Ford or Dodge is any prettier!

#6 ·
Barkleymut, are you going to be able to get $4000 off of near invoice pricing on it? So, say invoice plus $500 -$4000 - what ever rebates might be available? If so that's probably too hard to pass up. That would end up probably being like $9000 off the window sticker.

#7 ·
Even if you pay $4000.00 more for a FORD, you'll get a better truck and a better return on your investment..:D :D :D

#8 ·
Alright Lee, if you want to give me $4000 then I'll buy the ford. Keith, I'm getting the 4 grand plus 2 grand in manufacturers rebates plus my trade in which I hope to get $7500 for, plus 5% financing. I am a great negotiator. I'll get the truck for no more than $100 over actual invoice. Too hard to pass up.
Talley hoe-give me $4000 and I'll consider a Dodge, I have a 1500 now and love it.
Good Earth- thanks for the info about the 2500 and 3500. Only I think all 3 domestic trucks are very tough and good looking, especially the new Dodge's man what a great looking design.

Also anyone have any advice on what rear end to get on the 2500HD? I will be doing mainly city driving and will never go over 70 MPH.

Harry, thanks for the link. It always scares you when you read something like that BUT. Ford, GM, and Dodge all put out a couple of lemons every day. I'm sure all 3 are quality trucks for the most part and hopefully the Chevy I buy will give me 10 years and 300,000 miles before I even have to put in a new clutch!:D

#9 ·
chevy does have an odd line up. they also have a 1500 HD if you were interested. i too have read the 2500HD is essentially a srw one ton.

ford also has a srw one ton, for those reading (i know, not you bark:D _)

do they still have the 2500? they did for 2002 i believe. i don't know what you need it for but for city driving, a dually might be a pain. of course you may need the power...

and with the points, are you listing your biz as the buyer? GM canada doesn't honour gm card points on commercial sales. course you aren't a canuck but you might want to be sure.

#10 ·
Originally posted by lee blount
Even if you pay $4000.00 more for a FORD, you'll get a better truck and a better return on your investment..:D :D :D
Blount is so right. I wouldn't consider the GM Barkleymut. But then some people are slow learners :D :D

Only a couple of weeks ago a Ford sales person told me they have 0% interest on Superdutys for 3 years. That will take care of any savings you might be making with $4000 in GM points.

#11 ·
Yeah, but GM would give him 0% for three years and better rates for 5 years, or he can take a rebate larger than Fords instead. Sucks, but it's true :eek: The kicker though is he has points that should be as good as $4000 cash. In other words take your best deal and the $4000 is like an added down payment. I wish Ford had a rewards card as good as GM's.

Basically Barkley is getting the truck at invoice, getting the rebate (which is every bit as high as Ford's) or getting a good financing rate in lieu of the rebate (which seems to be lower than Fords if financed longer). But the kicker is the $4K he has sitting there.

It would be a tough decision for me, I'd honestly like to say I would skip it and buy the Ford, but I don't know.

#12 ·
It would be a tough decision for me, I'd honestly like to say I would skip it and buy the Ford, but I don't know
No brainer for me. When I bought my last truck in 00 I went right to what I wanted. Didn't even look at the off brands.

#13 ·
chevy does have an odd line up. they also have a 1500 HD if you were interested.

That's a weird deal.:dizzy: They call it a 1500, but it has 8 lug wheels and 8600 GVWR. So it's actually a heavy 3/4 ton. Anymore, the 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton designations are meaningless. The 1/2 tons can carry about a ton, the 3/4's 1 1/2 to 2 and 1 tons 2 tons or more.

Barleymutt, I prefer Fords to the other two, but for $4K I would jump ship in a heartbeat. Stock out of the box, all three trucks will do what you want more or less equally well.

#14 ·
they had a 1500 snowplow prep package at one point too
(maybe still do).

yet the 2500 extended cab 4x4 for 2002 didn't have snowplow prep available

i love gm, but it's tough to figure out the thinking sometimes.

#15 ·
WhenI bought my F-250 P/S, last May. They asked if I knew anybody that worked for Ford, I said no. They said if I did you get another 4000.00 off, well I went to work and talked to some friends about it, a lady said she had a cousin that worked for Ford, my salesman called him and got his PIN # and I got 4000.00 off and financed for 3.9%. That was the x,y or maybe z plan can't remember what it was. But if you know anybody it will save you, but then again I don't know if they still offer that plan.

#16 ·
Originally posted by wriken
WhenI bought my F-250 P/S, last May. They asked if I knew anybody that worked for Ford, I said no. They said if I did you get another 4000.00 off, well I went to work and talked to some friends about it, a lady said she had a cousin that worked for Ford, my salesman called him and got his PIN # and I got 4000.00 off and financed for 3.9%. That was the x,y or maybe z plan can't remember what it was. But if you know anybody it will save you, but then again I don't know if they still offer that plan.
It's X. Friends and Family and Partner program. I have it and bought my Bullitt with it and if I ever get around to buying a new SuperDuty, I'll use it for that :) A lot of big company's employees qualify for it as well. Ford employees have, I think, 4 a year to give out to friends or whoever. They may have just released another one to employees recently, bringing the total to 5 this year. It is A Plan + 4% + $150. On a big ticket item like a XLT 4X4 PSD, it will likely work out to just below invoice. The great thing is it is a no haggle system. The price is set in stone and they can't hit you up for the fees that dealerships tend to add. I have a link to X Plan pricing on vehicles that are in stock. You can search a local dealers inventory and it shows the window sticker and X price. If anyone wants to see it I will post it. On a $40000 truck it will be in the neighborhood of $5000 off of sticker, plus you get whatever rebates are available to. So it could work out to about $6500 to $7500 in savings :cool:

Most larger dealers will have no problem X planning a vehicle like a truck, it's the limited production vehicles that they are hesitant doing. Like I said before, it is about equal to invoice, but without the hassle of negotiating the price.

#17 ·
My dad, got 2250$ rebate and the employee discount on a brand new gmc sierra hd2500.
I believe it was close to 10k in discounts and rebates and gm card points.

#19 ·
Barkleymut,there is no difference between the frame,trans,cooling or any other things on the 2500HD or 3500.The differences lie in the rear axle,the 3500 is dually only,and has stiffer springs and larger brakes.The 9200GVWR on the 2500HD actually equals the 9900 GVWR of the Dodge/Ford SRW 3500s due to the GM's being much lighter trucks. The axle ratio you should get depends on the engine you are getting,if your getting the 6.0,get 4.10s.If you get the 8100 Allision get 3.73.The duramax has 3.73 only.Good luck with your new truck.

#23 ·
Originally posted by landsc8peman
hey buy a chevy with an allison transmission , it will never fail you .............................
This is so untrue. All ya got to do is browse the Chevy Forum of the Plow Site to find this out.

Die hard Ford guy that I am, I won't boast about Fords this way, because none of the brands are totally trouble free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.