New Chevy's got rear drums?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by South Florida Lawns, Jun 16, 2008.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

What the heck, so GM goes back to drum brakes on the 1500 Silverado's and Sierras? Why? Everybody knows that drum brakes can't dissipate heat like a disc. I think even the WT trucks have crossover braking which isn't even 4 wheel ABS. Why did they go back to drums, anybody know?

2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I think they were having some reliability issues in the Rust Belt with the rear disc setup they were using, something about all the salt screwing 'em up.

3. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

it was cost vs performance

rear brakes don't do as much braking as the fronts and the disk set up cost allot more then drums to maintian but don't offer enough performance to justify.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'll take drums back any day!

I'm on my second set of rotors and I have less than 20K miles! (truck in sig)

The steel they use is crap. The calipers rust and no longer slide, leading to uneven pad wear.

My latest set was put on in March, and they already look like hell.

5. South Florida Lawns

from usa

I don't live by road salt so I don't have those problems.

6. TimsLawnCareVA

TimsLawnCareVA LawnSite Senior Member

Drum brakes don't have as much brake fade as disc brakes. Also, how many road tractors you see with rear disc? They use drum for a reason.

7. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

cause its not like you dont see a bunch of those things jack knifed every year. air brakes work on a spring the air keeps them open when you shut the air off the springs clamp them together. drums r cheaper i guess here i had 30k on my truck and had to cut slots and break the back disc off rust is nasty

8. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

thats because you have a chev.my f150 has over 200000 miles and the rear have only been replaced once.they stop the truck when it rains,not like drums.they get wet and wont stop your truck as well.

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

what else would you expect from gm?

10. South Florida Lawns

from usa

Thanks k911lowe for bringing us back to topic. I'm also considering a new f150 as well, they are great trucks.