New Chopper Not cutting very good

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckylawnboy, May 8, 2001.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I have still been having problems with my 60" Flatlander leaving strips of grass un cut. I tried to adjust the deck but As soon as I get the front blade tips set at 3" on the second notch on the foot pedel. I will go to set the back tips a 1/4 hight but they will be way off side to side. So when level them out it throws the front off again. Is there any way that the deck could be bent or warped. It just seems there is something out of balance. I am taking it to the dealer in the morning, but I am affraid they know less about the machine than I do. Has any one else had problems with there chopper not cutting good. It only has 120 hours on it new blades did not help either.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You have 4 adjustments on the deck for leveling it. First of all, make sure you have the tires at the proper air preasure. Then put it on a completely flat surface, like level concrete.

Now you can level it from front to back and left to right and get it right. I would let the dealer do it, but if he can't, try this yourself. He should be able to get it right for you.

It is an easy process to get it right. You want a 1/4" pitch, front lower than the back and level from left to right. Do this by measuring from the blade tips and make sure they are not bent.

I hope this helps.
  3. luckylawnboy

Yea, I know it is an easy process but it has not been going very well. I am going to have my dad machine blocks at 3" and two at 3" 1/4" set the tips on it and take out the slack in the chains. I just can't see this little of an adjustment make that big of a difference. but I hope this is all that is wrong

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Are you using double blades? If so, what combo are you using?

5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a new 60” Dixie last year in February, and soon discovered the same problem with the deck that you are having.

I could get the front tips of the blades set to 3”; the right rear then would be at 3.25”, but the left rear would be at 3.50”. If I made both rear tips level, the front tips would be off ¼”.

I took it to the dealer, and he fiddled with it for a day, ending up with the same result I did. He called the factory and then said it was an adjustment problem. The factory told my mechanic how to set the deck level. So he tried, but came up with the same ¼” off, every time.

After I complained to the factory, they sent out a completely new deck. My mechanic put it on, and checked the blades for level. The result was EXACTLY the same! Still off ¼” in the back.

And not only that, one of the deck chains has constant slack in it. I could remove the adjusting nut, because of the slack and it wouldn’t make any difference.

I talked to the owner, Art, and he said I should loosen the crooked spindle and put brass shims under it to level it. I felt like that should have been done by the factory, but they would not pay for my dealer to do it. They sent out a complete new deck, but wouldn’t pay to fix the real problem…. I could never understand that one.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have the same problem with my deck. It seems like the deck (or all 60" Dixie decks as it is turning out) is twisted. The mower is cutting great and I have a 1/4" pitch and the front of the deck level. This is an issue that Magic Circle needs to fix now.
  7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

"I talked to the owner, Art, and he said I should loosen the crooked spindle and put brass shims under it to level it."

What type of fix is that ?
    I have been in the commercial mower repair and sales business for over 10 years, and the only time we had to shim a spindle is when the deck was so beat from abuse, that it was twisted from side to side.
    I would call the owner of chopper (again) and demand a fix to this problem, or get a lawyer involved.
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Lucky Lawnboy,

I had a '97 60" Flatlander with what seems to be the same problem. I, after a season, I determined that the trim side spindle to deck mounting surface was bent or tweaked. If I would properly set the center and discharge blade pitch and height, the trim side was actually 1/8" higher in the front than the back???? It mowed fine on most lawns, but on the REALLY nice lawns, you could see the difference. My one front chain was always loose. This causes the deck to see-saw on that one point front lift chain. It made it seem as though a tire was low and was scalping the trimside. I was told that I "must have hit something" to bend the deck that bad! O.K. ..... MAYBE if it was bent the other way, but hitting something going forward would cause it to tilt back, not forward. They simply quoted me the price of a new deck!

Now, I use a Lazer.

Deck problem solved.
  9. luckylawnboy

You guys have hit it right on the head. I would have chain with slack in it. I just thought I was going crazy not being able to get my deck level. I use double blades with the regular blade on bottom and smaller blades from my 52" WB on top, and still it just was not cutting as good as my Exmark Hydyo WB that has almost 3000 hours on it I put a new motor this season but the deck has almost 3000 hours on it. I hope they can find a fix, but I demand better out of a $ 8,500 unit. It is at the dealer right now so I will keep you posted on what they find out.
  10. luckylawnboy

This is how it used to cut